Software Engineer 3
Working Title: Software Engineer 3
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: School of Medicine, Institutional Analysis and Computing
Posting Date: 06-12-2018
The Application Development department at the University of Virginia's School of Medicine (SOM) seeks a mid-level ASP.NET MVC (C#) developer to join a growing and diverse team, and participate in the full software development lifecycle for applications that support the SOM's education, clinical, and research missions. The developer will support/augment existing applications and develop new ones that interface with MS SQL Server and other database platforms.
- 4+ years of recent ASP.NET MVC or Web API development OR equivalent Object-Oriented programming experience building web applications
- 2+ years of SQL Server database development
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related disciplines. Equivalent experience in web/software development may be considered in lieu of required degree
- Excellent Communication Skills (written and oral)
- Additional development experience in languages other than .NET.
- CSS: Experience implementing Bootstrap or other CSS framework. Working knowledge of mobile first and responsive design. Working knowledge of transpilers such as Less or Sass.
- Security: Knowledge of software/web development best practices and awareness of HIPAA and FERPA regulations.
- Experience working in a SCRUM/Agile environment.
- Experience with requirements gathering, generating technical specifications, unit and system testing, production support, and creating both system and user documentation.
- Experience with Microsoft Team Foundation Server or other code repository.
- Experience with legacy data stores (like Access and Excel)
- Web Services: experience producing or consuming web services.
This is a restricted position contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of web design principals and the ability to produce mockups and production ready designs (requiring some knowledge of Fireworks/Photoshop or other graphical tools) that use "Mobile First" and "Responsive" design.
2. Familiarity with basic project management techniques from project inception to production go live and with various development methodologies (like scrum)
3. Ability to consult on projects including requirements gathering, development of specifications and software contracts, creation and prioritization of tasks, creation of documentation, test case development, source code development, testing, developing training, and production support.
4.Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
5. Ability to communicate technical issues with non-technical customers.
6. Proven skills in design and development of websites front end and back end.
7. Knowledge of Relational Database paradigms.
8. Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information effectively to audiences with different levels of technical competence, both orally and in writing.
9. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment as well as individually.
10. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84825