International Recruitment Advisor
Job ID: 24516
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Int'l Recruitment&Partnership
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,057/month - $5,769/month
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,057/month - $4,740/month
FLSA status: Exempt
About the Position
The College of International and Extended Studies (CIES) offers programs dedicated to Access, International Programs, and Innovation. CIES' programs provide access to San Jose State University courses, degrees and certificates for students in Silicon Valley and from around the world.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Marketing, Communication and Outreach, and receiving work lead direction from the Associate Director of International Recruitment and Partnerships, this position provides admission information, academic support and advising to prospective international applicants on a day-to-day basis. Supports the Associate Director to monitor application processing, track the status of applications and correspond with applicants.
The International Recruitment Advisor communicates with international applicants regarding admission eligibility issues, provide pre-admission counseling, advise application procedure, and perform follow-up service with students on a regular basis in-person, on the telephone, and electronically. The incumbent will take a critical role as the liaison on campus to work with undergraduate/graduate admission, communication team, housing, Int'l Student & Scholar Services, and International Gateways offices to advocate on issues impacting international applicants. In addition, the incumbent collaborates with International Recruitment Specialist on important tasks including but not limited to: managing data entry and report, monitoring application status, corresponding with applicants, and conducting outreach to prospective international applicants both locally and out-of-state on as needed basis. The incumbent will also review and update information of prospective students/applicants in CRM database and perform related duties as assigned.
This position interprets and explains university's admission policies and requirements to prospective F-1 students and assists them through the SJSU application process. The International Recruitment Advisor collaborates with the admission office, International Gateways and other campus departments. The incumbent serves as a campus contact for prospective F-1 applicants to follow up on application progress, and regularly correspond with students to ensure application procedure is completed. Provides critical information to admitted F-1 students such as testing, registration, housing, financial management, personal safety, and other services related to academic success prior to their arrivals at SJSU. Participates in planning of recruitment, workshops, yield projects and related events and activities.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Admission Counseling and Outreach
2. Academic Advising and Support
3. Application Tracking and Follow-up
4. Data Reporting and Analysis
5. Social Media and Website Management
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field.
A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
1. One or more years of professional experience in international recruitment, international admission or international program at a higher education setting.
2 Experience working with international student population.
3 Experience working with F1 regulations.
4 Experience in Customer Relation Management (CRM) database.
5 Experience and understanding in credential evaluation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of university admission procedure.
- Knowledge of international application process and requirements.
- Knowledge of international recruitment trend and practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of regulations pertaining to F-1 visa students.
- Knowledge of or ability to acquire database skills such as database management and spreadsheet applications
- Basic knowledge of PeopleSoft Query and SQL.
- Knowledge of various social media platforms, and familiarity with communication applications such as outlook, skype, Facebook and/or blogs
- Ability to clearly express ideas and suggestions both written and orally
- Ability to work with multicultural and ethnically diverse populations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employee, students, applicants and external agencies.
- Proficiency with MS Windows and/or Mac platforms; MS Office Suite, word processing, internet applications.
- Ability to acquire, understand, and analyze University policies pertaining to student success.
- Ability to reason logically, interpret regulations and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with colleagues, members of the university community and the public.
- Ability to identify and problem-solve issues affecting students to achieve academic success.
- Ability of read, comprehend, sort and organize a variety sets of data
April 13, 2018
Application Screening Begins April 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest - Prefer PDF
Resume - Prefer PDF
References - Prefer PDF
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application to apply, please visit our website at: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs/index.html
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046