Position Number: 10042516
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Gainesville
Job Close Date: 06/25/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Network Engineer. The Network Engineer provides troubleshooting, repair, consulting, and design services to support the network infrastructure needs of the University. Responsible for the planning, design, and implementation of the physical campus network infrastructure both wired and wireless. This individual works closely with the IT Infrastructure team, Facilities, Auxiliary Services, and contractors in planning for future growth.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Network Engineer will:
- Deploy, monitor, and maintain wired and wireless networking for all infrastructure services, including but not limited to LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, data centers, UPS, and supporting systems.
- Physical and virtual networking. Network switch and router configuration, installation, backup, and maintenance in collaboration with the Network Administrator.
- Proactive network analysis and troubleshooting to prevent and resolve user issues.
- Maintain network diagrams, perform physical cable location for underground and in-building wiring, and consult with construction teams for campus construction and renovation projects to ensure installations meet standards. Oversee and assist with low voltage and fiber optic cabling installation and maintenance including outside plant.
- Coordinate preventative maintenance on network systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have skills in networking architecture and design
- Working knowledge of fiber optics, copper cabling, media converters, and the tools used to install and support these
- Knowledge of wired and wireless router configuration
- Understanding of network protocols and information security
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to use a protocol analyzer to detect, locate and solve potential network problems
- Ability to multi-task, manage workload, and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate with team members and users in an effective manner
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of and evaluate emerging technologies.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or a related field, or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 2 years' experience in networking/telecommunications design, maintenance and repair; or, an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- CCENT, CCNA or Network+ desired. Security+ preferred.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.