Writing Tutor - McNair Scholars
Requisition Number STA - 201000000630
Job Title Writing Tutor - McNair Scholars
The Writing Tutor will serve the UNT Dallas McNair Scholars participants. The tutor will assist the program by providing individual and group tutorial assistance in courses and other subject material, specifically in regards to technical writing. Additionally, the tutor will facilitate and assist with activities offered by the program at the school.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Follow program policies and guidelines in working with program participants;
• Provide tutorial and academic support for participants on UNT Dallas Campus;
• Organize, facilitate, and document tutorial sessions;
• Maintain communication Upward Bound Director/Advisor during the year;
• Provide reports of attendance and participant academic progress;
• Attend program meetings and training when offered;
• Assist with activities during the program on the UNT Dallas Campus, i.e. study hall, etc.
• Complete additional related responsibilities as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor's degree or higher with coursework in the related field and the following required qualifications:
• Intermediate to advanced level of knowledge in English composition, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
• Excellent customer service skills, as well as effective oral and written communication skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
• Good interpersonal skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently and with others.
• Responsible, reliable and punctual.
• Bachelor's degree in English or Modern Languages.
• Experience tutoring/teaching college students.
• Demonstrate punctuality and professionalism at all times.
• Strong knowledge of FERPA preferred.
• Ability to assist with instructional support in writing.
• Experience providing workshops, training, and/or test preparation sessions.
• Possess a sincere desire to work with students strong problem-solving skills.
• Strong critical thinking skills.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday-Thursday, up to 20 hours/per week
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- * Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have in writing and/or prospect research?
- * Explain how your communication skills will help you become an effective tutor.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)
- Financial Aid Summary