Program Mentor, IT Computer Science
A new kind of U. As a competency-based, student-focused, online, nonprofit university, we do things a bit differently at WGU. From the bottom up, we're designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do. As a Program Mentor your primary focus is student support!
WGU Program Mentors serve our students with personalized on-on-one support from the very first day in their program through graduation! Program Mentors have an industry background as well as a master’s degree to match their student’s programs. Program Mentors do not teach courses, rather, they are their students' primary source of information about academic program operation, and about the policies and procedures of the university. Program Mentors counsel their assigned students in understanding expectations and overcoming obstacles to ensure success. The Program Mentor is responsible for providing highly engaged, student centered support to a caseload of undergraduate or graduate students. Program Mentoring requires significant contact via phone but also includes email, web camera interaction, and the potential for instant messaging and alternate forms of connection.
A master’s degree is required with 2-3 + years of experience in Computer Science related field.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Math required
- Minimum of 2-3 years of industry experience in Data Management or Programming
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor; help at-risk and struggling students overcome life’s challenges
- Adaptable in a fast-paced environment; heavy phone work
- Ability to travel for training, Academic Meetings and/ or Commencements
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service (AKA “Student Obsession”) to our students
WORK FROM HOME, United States