Dean of Business and Professional Studies
MMCC seeks a Dean of Business and Professional Studies to join the Academic Leadership Team. The successful candidate will value collegiality and mutual respect, use data in decision making, is innovative, is service-minded, is goal-oriented, strives to continually improve, and is willing to collaborate internally and externally.
The Dean of Business and Professional Studies provides leadership in planning, organizing, and coordinating the division to ensure programs offered are aligned with the mission of the college. The Dean will be expected to collaborate with our four-year institution partners to assist with student transfer and work with faculty to increase enrollment in the business programs offered in the Division of Business and Professional Studies. The Dean will be expected to lead the division in planning and outreach to help develop internships and service learning opportunities for students. The Dean will supervise faculty and staff in Accounting, Business, Computer Information Systems, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement, Business Communications, and Education. In addition, the Dean will supervise and support the work of our LUCES Academy, an initiative that immerses non-English speaking students and other students in learning through alternative methods.
Review of applications will begin on July 2, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should, as part of the on-line application process, upload a resume/vitae, a cover letter addressed to the Dean of Business and Professional Studies Search Committee, and the names and contact information for at least three professional references familiar with the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and abilities as outlined in this advertisement.
- Engages faculty and other key stakeholders in both long-range and operational planning for the division.
- Creates a culture of continuous improvement in support of the implementation, promotion, and compliance with the College’s commitment to student success.
- Applies best practices in student persistence and completion consistent with the goals of the College.
- Evaluates the appropriate measures of student success using data and evidence and executes upon the findings.
- Assumes financial and administrative management responsibility for the division, guides and oversees its annual operating budget.
- Recruits and selects full-time and part-time faculty with appropriate academic qualifications in collaboration with faculty colleagues and evaluates faculty performance on a regular basis.
- Provides leadership for the development of new programs based on community and discipline needs; ensures that opportunities for program articulation to other institutions of higher learning are addressed.
- Provides leadership and coordination for the assessment of student learning outcomes for all degrees and certificates in the division.
- Leads and participates in advisory boards, associations, and other organizations dealing with economic development, education, and community partnerships.
- Develops the course schedule for the Business and Professional Studies division and monitors the work loads of full- and part-time faculty, including both their teaching and non-teaching duties.
- Serves on relevant committees and teams both within the academic division and college wide, acting as an internal champion of the Business and Professional Studies disciplines.
- Represents the College on relevant state-level committees and task forces, acting as a public champion of both the College and the Business and Professional Studies disciplines.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with other members of the educational community including K-12 and four-year partner institutions.
- Manages and resolves student concerns.
- Makes administrative decisions consistent with the provisions of the Master Agreements with the Faculty Senate/MEA and ESPA.
- Supports and serves as a role model for the College’s mission, vision, and values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of disciplines and programs, issues, trends, theories, and research represented in the Division.
- An open and consultative leadership style, partnering and motivating faculty, staff, and students from diverse populations.
- Effective leadership skills and abilities to marshal resources in the accomplishment of division goals and objectives.
- Ability to think critically, use sound judgment, and problem solve.
- Written and computer skills necessary to prepare required documentation and reports.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate, verbally and in written form, with various constituencies, including students, faculty, administrators, business and industry representatives, and community members from diverse populations. The Dean is also required to handle problem situations in a tactful, courteous, and respectful manner.
- Organizational and time management skills to manage and oversee multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in communications and records as delineated by privacy laws.
- Ability to properly delegate duties and provide appropriate expectations in a clear manner.
- Collaborate with members of the Business and Professional Studies division and other divisions within academics and across the College.
- Willingness to pursue professional development opportunities to facilitate appropriate leadership and management skills.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- Master’s degree in information technology/information systems, business, or education from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- 3+ years of leadership/management experience required.
- A combination of 3+ years of college teaching experience and administrative/ management experience required.
- 3+ years of experience in business and/or industry required.
- Experience working with internal and external stakeholders required.
- Familiarity with specialized accreditation standards for business (AACSB, ACBSP) required.
- Leadership and teamwork ability, financial management experience of complex and multiple budgets preferred.
- Community college experience preferred.
- Program development experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in working in collaboration and partnership with community groups and organizations preferred.
- The job responsibilities of this position are performed in an office/classroom/laboratory environment which requires a professional image and demeanor, on-time attendance and reliability. The overall work environment requires the mental ability to shift focal point quickly due to interruptions; an employee must be able to mentally track multiple projects. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate; however, there may be instances of somewhat loud sounds.
- There will be regular travel to other college locations.
- There will be occasional travel for conferences/training.
- Duties are performed in an independent atmosphere without close direct supervision.
- While performing the essential duties of this position, an employee will frequently be required to move around the assigned work areas as well as within hallways, meeting rooms, and other parts of the campus and off-campus facilities. An employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds to perform essential functions.
- Must meet reasonable and sometimes shifting deadlines, quotas, or demands for accuracy, and may be involved in some unpleasant situations.
- Must successfully complete a background check and drug test prior to hiring.
- Typical work schedule is 8:00am – 4:30pm with flexible or extended hours as needed by department and Academic Affairs demands. Attendance at campus, other department and public meetings, events, and recognitions will be required.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified. Incumbents may be asked to perform additional duties as required by his/her supervisor.
MMCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.