Data & Reporting Analyst-Planning & Institutional Research
- Coordinate and prepare NAU responses to official reports and surveys from external, state and federal agencies and organizations.Requires broad knowledge of university data and data systems, and the ability to be extremely accurate and detail-oriented.
- Serve as the IPEDS Keyholder for NAU.Update institutional contact information regularly and provide notification of report due dates to contributors.Monitor progress of report completion to ensure adherence to report due dates.Review data provided and notify supervisor(s) of any questionable data.
- Provide data for grants and data verifications for agencies such as the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, US Department of Education, US Health Resources and Service Administration, Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students, etc., as well as for private grant proposals. Carefully document criteria used in grant proposals to ensure replicable and consistent data for subsequent grant follow-up reporting.
- Extract data from NAU and external databases such as IPEDS Data Center, National Student Clearinghouse, Business Objects, Golden 6/PeopleSoft, CUPA HR, NSLDS, US News and others. Extract information accurately from databases, coordinate responses to information requests from Institutional Research and Analysis (IRA) and offices throughout the University, ensure responses are consistent, and send information to appropriate agencies and organizations by specified deadlines.Document processes used to prepare information.
- Coordinate the “census enrollment” processes 6 times per year.Establish a regular communication network prior to each census, monitor data integrity queries regularly, notify departments of issues and ensure issue resolution.Develop reports to assist offices with data clean-up efforts, and to provide updated enrollment counts.Ensure updated enrollment information is included in university reports, Fact Book, IRA website, etc.
- Prepare monthly President’s Cabinet Reports.Contact contributing departments to request information.Review information and identify any inconsistencies.Update the Cabinet Report so that it is ready for presentation each month.
- Provide reminders of key report due dates; maintain paper and computer files so information and surveys can easily be found.Ensure compliance with ABOR regulations.Provide timely and accurate enrollment information for the University.
- Prepare, design, and distribute the annual Quick Fact Cards, Quick Facts on the web, and other publications to provide easy-to-digest information about NAU.Analyze government policies and regulations and their impact to NAU.
- Work effectively as an IRA team member providing assistance, support, and training to ensure timely, accurate and quality IRA analyses and reporting.Share information to ensure IRA develops a common, comprehensive understanding of NAU’s student, course, human resources, financial and other data.Show initiative working with other IRA staff to improve the effectiveness and efficiency in providing quality and consistent information and analyses.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND three years of demonstrated experience in a business/academic setting performing data analysis, reporting, or institutional research activities; OR
- Seven years of experience in a business/academic setting performing data analysis, reporting, or institutional research activities; OR
- Any equivalent combination of directly related experience, training and/or education.
- Understanding of NAU data sources and their interrelationships.
- Experience with data extraction in Oracle/PeopleSoft using SQL or PeopleSoft Query, and/or through Enterprise Reporting/Business Objects.
- Significant experience in higher education, particularly within research, institutional research, or grant administration.
- Experience in reading, preparing, and presenting reports, including graphical and narrative formats.
- Master’s degree in related field.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Advanced expertise in Microsoft Office products, specifically Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated skill in data validation and data reconciliation techniques.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to connect detail to its context, research questions, and analytic approaches.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to perform well in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently and manage several projects at once and to quickly switch from one project to another based upon shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in documentation of procedures, business processes, and data extract criteria.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website at: http://www.nau.edu/police. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/Eligibility-Enrollment/
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found at: http://hr.nau.edu/sites/default/files/files/Conditions%20of%20Service%20Professional%20Dec%202012%20Rev.pdf/.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment. More information is available at: https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/Eligibility-Enrollment/
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Employee-Resources/Training/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years. In addition to the development classes offered in-person, every NAU employee receives a free subscription to Lynda.com. From this site you can access more than 1,400 training videos on a broad range of subjects, including business skills, photography, music and video, home computing, and web design and development.
July 11, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at http://nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.