Assistant Vice President – Development & Alumni – UAB Medicine
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) seeks a highly seasoned development professional to lead our UAB Medicine Development and Alumni team. The qualified candidate will have experience in devising and developing a comprehensive strategic development and alumni plan to support the research, clinical and educational missions of UAB Medicine. The candidate will also lead a team of development and alumni professionals tasked with engaging various constituent groups and generating continuous and significant private gift support for UAB Medicine and its affiliated entities.
Annual Salary Range: $120,000 - $150,000
- Designs and coordinates efforts to identify and cultivate current and new sources of private major gift support from corporations, foundations, alumni, grateful patients and friends
- Creates and maintains an active major gift portfolio representing all phases of the donor continuum
- Manages prospect and donor relationships through face-to-face visits
- Supervises, coaches and evaluates staff (10-15 direct reports)
- Hires staff as needed and approved
- Monitors existing metrics in order to ensure accountability for staff
- Evaluates the role of metrics in improving staff performance and modifies with other central development leadership as needed
- Builds collaborative and productive relationships with key leadership, colleagues, deans, department chairs and units and provides leadership to enhance strategic fundraising
- Serves as advisor to the School of Medicine Dean and other UAB Medicine leadership on fundraising matters and coordinates development activities between UAB Medicine and the Office of Development and Alumni
- Attends University, School and Central Development functions primarily to identify and engage new prospects as well as cultivating & stewarding donors.
- Represents Development Office at School of Medicine Executive Committee meetings as part of the process of developing the strategic plan for the UAB Medicine Philanthropic Initiative
- Maintains ongoing personal contact with key volunteers, members, lapsed members and prospects
- Manages the School of Medicine’s Board of Visitors
- Oversees the Medical Alumni Association
- Plans and monitors UAB Medicine development office budget
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, English, Public Relations, Journalism or related and 10 years’ progressive development experience.
- Prior fundraising experience is required. We would prefer someone with fundraising experience in a Higher Education or Hospital/Medicine environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and inspire others at all levels.
- Proven track record in identifying, cultivating and closing major gifts, executing and meeting campaign goals on time and within budget.
- A verifiable record of success in designing, implementing and administering programs related to engagement, fundraising and volunteer management.