Park University invites nominations and applications for the position of Provost.
SUMMARY: Park University is pleased to announce the search for its next Provost, an appointment to become effective January 1, 2019. The application deadline is August 3, 2018. The new Provost will report to the President and serve on the President’s executive team. The Provost’s direct reports include leadership focused on faculty development, student assessment and support, and curriculum and compliance. The University’s three college deans, the Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Dean of Management, and the Dean of Education and Health Professions, also report directly to the Provost. The newly appointed Provost will exercise creative and strategic leadership with a focus on maintaining academic excellence and fostering academic innovation across Park’s campus locations and online.
THE UNIVERSITY: Park University is a private, independent, nonprofit masters-level institution serving more than 11,000 students nationally through its flagship campus, 41 campus centers across the country and via its robust online program. Park provides innovative, accessible and flexible education by utilizing not only traditional in-person delivery, but also online or distance learning methods and blended learning alternatives.
Honoring its founding mission to provide academic access to all qualified learners, the University continues to serve a highly diverse student population with a 46 percent ethnic representation and enrolls 336 international students from 65 countries. The flagship campus in Parkville, Mo., sits atop rolling hills overlooking the Missouri River and presents an imposing community feature with its beautiful and historic buildings. The campus also includes a unique academic underground space created from the excavation of native limestone. The underground campus houses classrooms, faculty and staff offices, a boardroom and Park’s distance learning operations center. The University also manages and oversees the successful Parkville Commercial Underground, an innovative commercial space that provides 385,000 square feet of economical and secure space for small businesses and wholesalers in the Kansas City area.
The Parkville Campus serves as the University’s system-wide administrative center and is home for the University’s daytime students who participate in traditional collegiate academic and athletic activities. The men’s volleyball team were crowned NAIA national champions in 2017. Women’s volleyball and men’s basketball also made it to the NAIA tournaments in 2017. The University has retained its status as a “Champions of Character” institution for numerous years.
THE PROVOST: As chief academic officer, the Provost’s responsibility is to ensure that quality academic programs are delivered consistently. The Provost must also collaborate and partner closely with more than 70 community colleges with articulation and 2+2 agreements and must be a strong voice for making higher education accessible to qualified students, removing financial barriers and ensuring they are ready, setting them up for success.
The Provost must assume a key leadership role in maintaining institutional and program accreditations. In addition, the Provost must provide key leadership on the development and approval process of new degree programs.
- A terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- An academic background that includes earned tenure at another institution and a demonstrated record as a senior scholar.
- 5 + years of experience as academic administrator at the level of academic dean or above.
- 5+ years of teaching and/or academic leadership within a distributed education model that includes multiple instructional modalities (face-to-face, blended, online) and multiple campus locations.
- Experience teaching and/or administratively supporting adult and/or military learners.
- A record of progressively greater management responsibility in a university organization.
- Commitment and ability to participate in shared governance practices with faculty and administrative constituent.
- Proven leadership skills and business acumen sufficient to contribute to overall university operations.
- Communication skills; exceptional interpersonal skills, a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusivity, employment equity, and staff development; the ability to establish good working relationships with faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni, business partners and other institutional constituencies.
- Experience in creating a sense of unity throughout the University.
- A track record of delegation and teamwork.
- Solid management skills rooted in strategic decision-making.
- Appreciation of education rooted in the liberal arts.
- Understand Higher Learning Commission accreditation standards.
We welcome those applicants who are high-energy and innovative, who value diversity, and who are eager to make a difference in the lives of our students. Park University offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package including health and life insurance, a retirement plan, and tuition paid undergraduate classes for employees and dependents. Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging applications from women and minorities. The University will recruit and employ qualified personnel and will provide equal opportunities during employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or status as a qualified protected veteran. Access Park University’s EEOC and related policies.
The application deadline is August 3, 2018. The position is available January 1, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Confidential review of applications will begin immediately. Applicants must have legal authority to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment.
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting Park University with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final stage of the search, at which time the express permission of finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy public. In addition, no contact to references will be made without prior approval of the candidate.
For more information about Park University and the Provost role (including priorities for the new Provost and Essential Characteristics), please review the Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t work in this advertisement, please go to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, qualifications and experience that would be applicable in this position. Please include a specific description of the organization (size, budget, revenue, complexity).
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly. Please note that references will not be contacted until further in the search process with prior approval by the applicant.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through the following website: http://eflassociates.peopleadmin.com/postings/1216
- Application deadline is August 3, 2018.
- This appointment is to begin January 1, 2019.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Steve Waldron, J.D.
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Email: [email protected]
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Email: [email protected]