Assistant Director for Research - Engineering Administration (A1800361)
Assistant Director for Research
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering Office of Research seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director for Research. The Office of Research will be known among engineering programs at research universities for its successful "faculty-based" model for how to develop and support faculty in the establishment of funded research opportunities including large externally funded opportunities such as centers and institutes. This includes significant impact on recruitment and retention of faculty.
The Assistant Director for Research will be responsible for managing college-wide activities that support faculty in the establishment of funded research opportunities (especially large externally-funded opportunities such as center and institutes with multiple investigators), facilitating interactions between faculty and external stakeholders, and executing special programs/projects as defined by the Associate Dean for Research. This position reports to the Associate Director for Research. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop and manage major research initiative programs and faculty training:
- Administer and coordinate major research initiative programs (e.g., Strategic Research Initiatives, etc.)
- Develop and implement workshops to educate faculty on best practices for NSF CAREER proposal preparation, discovering and developing funding opportunities, corporate engagement, proposal writing, leading centers/large multiple investigator efforts, research mentoring, etc.
- Facilitate the matching and interaction between faculty research and funding/collaborative opportunities:
- Keep abreast of College of Engineering (CoE) research by individual faculty and centers/institutes as well as major CoE research initiatives.
- Understand external funding and collaborative opportunities for research. Make connections and facilitate interactions between research funding/collaborative opportunities and appropriate faculty, centers/institutes and college-wide initiatives.
- Plan, organize, host, and facilitate visits by external partners and potential partners. Follow-up as needed on the results of these visits.
- Liaise with Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), the Office of Technology Management (OTM), CoE Undergraduate Research, CoE departments, and other key campus offices as needed to support faculty in establishing funding and collaborations for research.
- Support large multi-investigator efforts and center/institute development:
- Facilitate the assembly and support of faculty research teams in response to large externally-funded proposal opportunities, including centers and institutes.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate meetings bringing together faculty across CoE and campus.
- Assist in planning, organizing and hosting workshops by faculty developing large center-type opportunities.
- Assist in the preparation of large proposals - especially with required components that are non-technical.
- Other responsibilities:
- Assist in managing the Office of Research's internal Wiki, Faculty Research Database, and other tools as needed, in cooperation with other Office of Research staff and the campus Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) staff as needed.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Office of Research processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the Office of Research.
- Represent the Associate Dean for Research and the Office of Research in meetings/events as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Two years of relevant experience within a corporate or university setting
- Ability to converse effectively regarding technical/scientific topics
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrated outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Ability to interact with both internal and external constituents
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD Degree in a STEM field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience within a corporate or university setting
- Experience within a research university setting
- Previous experience dealing with research business development/proposals/projects
The Assistant Director for Research is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by July 11, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman, [email protected], 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director for Research - Engineering Administration (A1800361)
Open Date: 06/11/2018
Close Date: 07/11/2018
Organization Name: Engineering Administration