Senior Information Architect
Senior Information Architect
Summary of responsibilities
The Senior Information Architect will play a lead role in the overall design, execution, and maintenance of the data warehouse, selection of hardware platform, data modeling/architecture, enterprise reporting and ETL processing which may require integration with internal and/or external vendor solutions, internal or outsourced software development, talent/resource acquisition, and project management. He/she will provide expertise in the development of impactful analytics and build multiple enterprise-wide databases with integrated ETL processes with the ultimate goal to provide end-to-end automated, high-quality enterprise reporting and analytics for the entire firm. He/she will be required to work with team members to design and implement robust, scalable solutions spanning multiple business units and address business problems by building high availability solutions. He/she will also need to bring expertise in several tools such as MS SQL-Server BI/Analytics Suite, Tableau, Python, MarkIT EDM, Alteryx, Oracle, SQL Server, .NET, Perl, and PL/SQL. He/she will participate in the development process, including requirements gathering, development, and testing.
As a key member of the Engineering Team, he/she will work in the technology area to perform project and maintenance work associated with implementing DUMAC's overall data and technology strategy. The ideal candidate will have a mix of technical and business skills to work with all levels of the organization to complete projects and support existing applications while working in a fast paced, growing organization. The candidate must be a pro-active go-getter with intellectual curiosity.
- Database Design & SQL/ETL Development
- Architect, design, develop, and maintain hardware and software for an investment management data warehouse. Build associated ETL processes and implement analytical reporting solutions.
- Administer SQL and/or other relational or object oriented databases (on-premise or cloud hosted)
- Model database systems for performance and scalability
- Write SQL including stored procedures, macros, and ETL packages.
- Business Analysis & Teamwork
- Partner with front-office and back-office teams, developers and support teams to define requirements, troubleshoot and triage issues, fix bugs and build out new solutions
- Capture, document and analyze business requirements: transitioning to technical solutions
- Provide technical guidance, establishing oneself as an advisor to the cross-functional stakeholders
- Ability to translate complex business requirements to optimal technical solutions
- Technical Support
- Monitor production IT processes and ensure successful completion of daily and monthly runs
- Troubleshoot and identify root cause of problems when process fails
- Develop technical and functional test plans and scripts to validate the successful design, development and implementation of system and reporting deliverables
- Monitor and proactively plan for database expansion and performance by understanding the business's growth, plans, and requirements.
- Deploy SQL code and application updates from development to production environments as needed
- Migrate, consolidate, and update batch processes and SQL scripts.
- Monitor database application systems for performance, system errors, and system vitals and troubleshoot any issues
- Provide technical support of production applications and database systems.
- Coordinate off-hours work to provide support to software applications or system maintenance
- Maintain a high level of awareness of current and future database technologies and best practices
- Maintain knowledge of available technologies through reading, training, webinars, conferences, networking and collaboration to solve business problems
- Develop and maintain operational and system level documentation
- Highly motivated and goal-oriented individual who has the drive to take tasks to completion and shows the flexibility to adapt to changing needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Eager to learn new technologies and adapt to rapid technological advancements and business changes.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and thrive in a team setting
- Unwavering commitment to ethical behavior and professionalism
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize workload, set deadlines independently and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Ability to utilize internal/external resources and interact with all levels of the organization. Cooperative and service-oriented attitude and demeanor
- Actively seek opportunities to increase skills and expertise. Remains current in systems and technology applicable to the job
- Excellent ability to quickly distinguish between database and application support issues and learn systems/processes by reading the code
- Excellent ability working with application vendors to help troubleshoot and resolve any production issues
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks and changing priorities
- General knowledge of investments, investment accounting and investment performance
- Ability to manage other members of the Engineering Team when necessary
- Minimum of 5 years of combination application and database administration experience in a production environment
- 3-5 years managing MS SQL RDBMS, Reporting Services and other SQL Server related services from a Production Support level
- 3-5 years using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- 3+ years of solid understanding of performance tuning, and database system optimizations (topics including IO/Memory/Indexing/Partitions/CPU/...)
- Extensive background in data analysis, data management and analytics.
- Expertise in architecting, designing, building, and configuring visually appealing analytical reports and dashboards using Tableau for financial users.
- System analysis, design, development, testing, debugging, documentation, training, deployment and post-production support.
- Knowledge of data modeling concepts, such as de-normalization, star schemas, etc.
- Strong exposure working with other BI technologies like Cognos, Microsoft SSRS, Business Objects; data engineering tools like ODI, Alteryx, Python, Informatica is a plus.
- Working experience with SQL, SSIS for ETL and Stored Procedures.
- Working knowledge with both SQL Server and Oracle Server.
- Experience in PL/SQL (Oracle) or T-SQL (Microsoft SQL Server), Data Warehouse, ETL, EDM, BusinessObjects, UNIX shell scripting or Hadoop framework components
- Experience in developing systems using Java, C#, .NET, Perl or C++
- Proficient in data transformation (ETL) tools such as Informatica, SSIS or equivalent
- Experience installing and configuring SQL or Oracle on development and production servers
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform all basic database management skills - database administration, database performance management, physical structure.
- Demonstrated ability to define and follow best practices and business processes
- Exceptional customer-service orientation. Work well in diverse multicultural environment
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business or related field.
Graduate degree is a plus.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2361 MANAGER, INVESTMENT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires communications and analytical skills generally acquiredthrough completion of a bachelor's degree program. An MBA and CFA arepreferred.
Work requires experience in research and financial analysis, generallyacquired through two years of related experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.