F/T Faculty: Baking and Pastry Arts-Hospitality Department
Department: Hospitality Department
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jun 11, '18
Ref No.: FAC
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. Ranked among the 25 fastest growing public two-year colleges in the United States, BHCC is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, MA, in nearby Chelsea, MA, and at three satellite locations within the Greater Boston area. BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges.
BHCC offers 103 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than fifty percent are women.
Bunker Hill Community College BHCC is nationally recognized as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream and is one of four colleges awarded the National Gates Foundation Achieving the Dream Catalyst grant.
BHCC is a progressive institution guided by seven goals: to create pathways and partnerships to promote student success; to demonstrate strength through diversity; to develop and cultivate college-wide sustainability initiatives; to expand technology throughout the College; to foster wellness, growth and life-long learning; to identify and close workforce gaps; and to institute a culture of evidence and accountability. The College is committed to a learning community teaching/learning environment and, as an Achieving the Dream institution, is focused on data-driven student success.
Living in Boston:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2014 and 2015 were ahead of projections. Eighty-plus colleges and a quarter of a million college students in the area make Boston one of the country's "youngest major metropolis," according to Boston magazine. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
Full-time Baking and Pastry Arts instructor in the Hospitality Department. Responsible for the teaching and curriculum development of Baking and Pastry Arts courses.
- Teach a variety of Baking and Pastry Arts courses such as: Chocolate and Sugar Artistry, Classical and International Pastries, Principles of Baking, Baking for Health, Advanced Desserts, Introduction to Cake Decorating, Advanced Cakes and Pastries, Science of Baking, Sanitation.
- Evaluate student performance in the classroom and laboratory settings using outcomes-based assessments.
- Teach in learning communities and engage students in community service.
- Utilize a variety of appropriate teaching strategies to promote students' critical thinking skills and enhance understanding.
- Actively contribute to program curriculum development efforts, including but not limited to curriculum development, facilities development, outreach and articulation, and outcomes assessment.
- Use new technologies in the classroom, as appropriate, to facilitate learning.
- Maintain expertise and currency in area of teaching responsibility.
- Actively participate as a faculty member in the general college community and fulfill duties stipulated in the MCCC Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Bachelor's Degree in Hotel Management, Hospitality Management, Food Service Management, or related field. Must also have credential in baking, pastry or culinary arts.
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
- Teaching experience required; community college teaching experience preferred.
- Past or present work experience as a pastry chef or baker in restaurants, hotels, and retail required.
- ServSafe certified.
Salary Range: $44,000.00-$55,000.00. Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate With Education and Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Relocation Stipend May Be Available.
Effective date: This Position will begin on September 1, 2018 (Fall Semester). To Ensure Consideration, Application Materials Must Be Received By July 26, 2018.
Submit a Cover Letter Addressing the Required Qualifications, Resume and Contact Information for 3 References through the URL: https://bhcc.interviewexchange.com. Please make sure you fill out the online application. Fax transcript files over 2MB's to (617)-228-3328.