Director of Annual Giving
Dominican University of California is seeking a dynamic individual for a Director of Annual Giving position. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Alumni Engagement, Annual Fund, & Advancement Services, this individual is responsible for producing all direct mail, email, telemarketing, social media and online giving programs, with the goals of:
- Raising annual operating support for the University
- Increasing alumni participation rates
- Inspiring greater levels of annual giving
- Developing a greater social media presence and managing Giving Tuesday, an annual day of giving, and crowdfunding campaigns
The Director is also responsible for the organization, initiation, implementation, supervision and evaluation of a comprehensive annual giving program focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support for the University. A successful candidate will be able to maximize operating support from alumni, parents, and friends through both strong written appeals and have creativity use and expertise in social media. The Director ensures that the University’s annual giving program is a leader among its peers by staying abreast of institutional annual giving trends. Additionally, the Director will maintain statistics such as total revenue, percentage of participation, consistency of giving, average gift size, etc. The Director will also work in partnership with the Assistant VP to recruit and steward members of the annual fund giving society.
- In partnership with the Assistant Vice President, provide input to develop annual fundraising strategies that will lead to successfully meeting or exceeding the annual operating contributed revenue goals for the University.
- Design and develop a strategic plan and an annual operating plan for the long-term expansion of gifts from alumni, parents, DUC faculty/staff and friends. Data driven methodologies and techniques should be used to help identify and target the best approaches.
- Strategize with major gift development officers to coordinate solicitations.
- Work closely with Marketing and Communications to be consistent with University branding and themes.
- Focus on effective communication and solicitation activities within specific market segments identified as having potential for the greatest growth.
- Formulate and execute a solicitation plan supporting annual giving.
- Manage direct mail list segmentation with Advancement Services. Ensure Development Officers (DOs) have input to appeal lists; circulate lists among DOs for review and approval.
- Facilitate special giving and stewardship programs, including, but not limited to: faculty/staff giving, Day of Giving, Giving Tuesday, crowdfunding, senior class gifts, generating a role for the Student Philanthropy Group, and development of young alumni giving.
- Partner with Advancement Services to develop systems which monitor the performance of each appeal and track fundraising results. Provide analysis and status reports to Advancement and DUC leadership as needed.
- Conceptualize and develop a strong Dominican Fund brand and message. The scope will include, but is not limited to, annual fund case statements, positioning and marketing materials, internet and social media design and messaging.
- Achieve metrics and performance indicators for direct mail, telemarketing, online and social media campaigns.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for vendors, including print and mail houses.
- Partner with the Office of Alumni Relations to generate prospects, maximize opportunities for giving at events and in other alumni outreach efforts, and understand the alumni culture and relationship with DUC.
- Manage expenses related to the annual giving campaigns to ensure that the department is operating within budget.
- Assist the Assistant Vice President with any other matters or responsibilities deemed appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of 5 years of direct fundraising experience in a nonprofit, preferably higher education experience
- Proven track record of achieving annual revenue targets
- Experience with implementing email appeals and demonstrated high level social media skills, such that these also can be integrated with more traditional methods and campus marketing themes
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated outstanding writing skills in direct mail
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically
- Thorough understanding of best practices within the annual fund field
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate and solicit annual donors
- Experience utilizing fundraising data base programs
- Familiarity with content organization systems to update and implement third party applications into the giving homepage
- Ability to pre-populate, schedule and leverage content with effective and engaging tweets and posts
- Design skills within Microsoft Publisher and/or Adobe Illustrator/Adobe Suite
- Ability to outline, arrange and record short video clips
- Ability to edit and enhance raw footage and Video editing skills within iMovie, MovieMaker, and/or Adobe Suite
- Posting ability with YouTube/Vimeo
Additional Position Information
- Open Until Filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
- A cover letter is required.
- Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
- For further questions on the application process, please contact [email protected]
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.