Career Counselor for College of Education and Health Professions
Posting Number NC1088P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/27668
Working Title Career Counselor for College of Education and Health Professions
Position Number 16524
Department Boyer Center For Student Services
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land-grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding Northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate-leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
Department Home Page
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The College of Education and Health Professions (COEHP) Career Counselor will provide career advising for COEHP students. Depending on the students' needs, the Career Counselor may assist students with career education and exploration, planning for a job or graduate school, and/or job search; provide resources for identifying experiential education opportunities (including Cooperative Education, internships, service-learning, job shadowing, etc.); and assist with the application process for the opportunities. In addition, the Career Counselor will serve as a career coach to COEHP Career Track Razorback members to help students develop personalized "road map" or career action plans; assist students in preparing a portfolio of assignments that showcase their skill set, such as writing, communication, technology, etc.; conduct presentations in classrooms, to student organizations, and other UA career-focused events/seminars/workshops; and create programs and services customized for COEHP students. The Career Counselor will provide resume reviews, interview skills training, and mock interviews, teach for-credit career-related courses and perform other related duties as required to meet the goals of the University Career Development Center and the COEHP.
This position will report to the Director of Career Education for the University Career Development Center (CDC) and to the COEHP Director of Academic Student Initiatives. COEHP will provide the Career Counselor with work space and office equipment. This position is funded and administrative support is provided by the CDC and COEHP.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- At least two years of full-time, professional work experience in career placement or counseling, higher education administration, business/corporate or employer relations, marketing/external relations, university advancement/development, academic advising, or a field that closely aligns with the objectives of the position
- Experience with independent planning and execution of a significant number of successful events, meetings, and outreach programs
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Graduate degree or advanced degree in a related area
- Three or more years of professional work experience in the areas of recruiting, business development, employer relations, academic advising, or higher education administration
- Experience providing career advising to students within the areas of education, health, or related fields
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledgeable of Career Development and Student Development Theories
- Knowledgeable of individual and group counseling, program development, and performance improvement
- Research and Evaluation skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and career management software designed to support the needs of this position
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Graduate Education Building
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The University of Arkansas is committed to providing a safe campus community. We conduct background checks for applicants being considered for employment. Background checks include a criminal background check and a sex offender registry check. For certain positions, there may also be a financial (credit) background check, a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) check, and/or drug screening. Required checks are identified in the position listing. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 06/09/2018
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date 08/01/2018
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
For questions about the position, please contact Elizabeth McKinley, Director of Academic Student Initiatives in the College of Education and Health Professions, email@example.com. Please do not send application materials by e-mail to the listed recruitment contact.
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
To be considered, please submit a cover letter in which you speak to the duties and responsibilities of the position; a resume; and the names, titles, addresses, and contact numbers of three references. Please do not send application materials by e-mail to the listed recruitment contact.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education?
- * Do you have at least two years of full-time, professional work experience in career placement or counseling, higher education administration, business/corporate or employer relations, marketing/external relations, university advancement/development, academic advising, or a field that closely aligns with the objectives of the position?
- * Do you have experience with independent planning and execution of a significant number of successful events, meetings, and outreach programs?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Proof of Veterans Status