William & Mary invites qualified applicants to apply for the Data Analyst position in the Information Strategy Unit within University Advancement.
University Advancement includes all William & Mary efforts related to alumni engagement, private fundraising and philanthropic outreach, and marketing and advancement communications.
The Data Analyst position is responsible for developing standardized reports, creating dashboards, and writing data queries using Oracle SQL, Crystal Reports, and R.
The position will participate in the development of the department’s strategic goals and direction, provide business recommendations to colleagues, and oversee system implementations.
Reporting to the Director, Information Strategy, the Data Analyst will keep informed of developments within the broad area of information technology to evaluate the potential improvements of applying new technologies on current processes and will help to identify and segment data for marketing to new donors, targeting high-profile alumni, and reaching out to potential volunteers.
- Consults with colleagues across Advancement to design and implement queries and automated reports that facilitate business processes and anticipate our future needs.
- Determines the most effective ways to retrieve data from multiple systems. Analyzes and improves fundraising performance through the design and implementation of reports.
- Uses SQL, Crystal Reports, and R to pull and load accurate data, create reports, and build interactive visuals. Maintains and modifies code to align with Advancement goals and policies.
- Synchronizes, monitors, and conducts data exchange processes to include data updates from multiple sources.
- Conducts data clean-up projects, audits, and validity testing to ensure continued accuracy and completeness of data.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, business analytics, or related field with demonstrated experience or specialized expertise directly related to the position.
- Strong proficiency within relational databases and demonstrated skills in programming, reporting, scripting and database query.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and relationships concurrently. Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an eye for detail and accuracy in all aspects of responsibilities.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues and constituents with varying systems experience and understanding. Strong customer service skills with a diplomatic, tactful, and approachable communication style.
- Commitment to high performance, teamwork, and accountability with a strong work ethic and sense of integrity.
- Demonstrated experience querying databases in a customer relationship management environment.
- Demonstrated Experience manipulating and analyzing data with a scripting language, including experience with data aggregation, transformation, and formatting.
- Experience working with end users to gather requirements and determine needs before project implementation.
Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, business analytics, or related field.
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in philanthropy and fundraising.
- Strong skills using SQL, Crystal Reports, R, Shiny, and LaTeX.
- Strong skills in Oracle relational databases.
- Experience with Ellucian Advance, Salesforce, and R
- Experience in predictive analytics and time series analysis is highly desirable.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.