Production Assistant / Customer Service Representative
Requisition # 2018-8883
Department Print and Mail Services
Category Campus and Auxiliary Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
In support of the University's primary mission, Princeton operates a full-service in-house digital printing and bindery production plant and a comprehensive mail and packages services department, a unit within the University Services division. The digital print and bindery service is supported by state-of-the-art equipment, a highly trained staff, and a customer services group that includes designers. The mail department works in concert with the print center providing a seamless print to mail service using variable data technology enhancing production and efficiency. The department processes greater than 150,000 packages annually.
Print and Mail Services (P&M) employees work in three locations: the print and mail plant operation is housed at the Forrestal Campus, in Plainsboro NJ; distribution of student packages and mail at the Frist Campus Center; and, a full-service walk-up Digital Print Center adjacent to campus.
Located in the Digital Print Center, the Production Assistant / Customer Service Representative is responsible for receiving, processing, and maintaining orders for presses and finishing services from individuals and departments. The Production Assistant works with customers to create, schedule, and produce their print products. The position is also responsible for running the digital press, large format, and finishing equipment. The Production Assistant must be able communicate effectively with customers and co-workers.
The Production Assistant will assist the Manager of the Digital Print Center in day-to-day production, operation and maintenance including, troubleshooting of all equipment.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
Operation of Equipment (Digital, Large Format & Bindery)
- Read and interpret job tickets and run production equipment, including digital presses, large format, and bindery
- Assists in ensuring each printing project is delivered on time by prioritizing work based on due dates and job requests
- Maintains organized and accurate stock levels of departmental supplies
- Adjusts equipment machines for different paper weights and sizes of stock
- Operates Epson 9600 and 9880 wide format ink-jet printers, using Best Color and Colorburst RIP software
- Interface with Customer Service regarding wide format estimates and job scheduling
- Mount wide-format prints meticulously on a variety of media
- Provide lamination services as needed for client presentations
- Performs bindery duties such as padding, perfect binding, GBC binding, folding, scoring, drilling paper, cutting paper for completion of jobs, assembling and stapling reproduced materials
- Assists in the cutting, mounting, and lamination of finished print media
- Package final products for delivery
- Provides print options to the customer in line with client expectations and budget constraints
- Generates job tickets utilizing MIS system, ensures deadlines are met, prioritizes incoming work, and customer specification accuracy
- Proficiency in preflighting and PDF workflow
- Assist clients with file intervention/recommendations as needed
- Reviews all proofs for accuracy prior to submission to client
- Utilizes cash register system
- Develops internal and external estimates based on client specifications
- Maintains inventory and orders necessary supplies
- Follows quality control measures that are established by Print & Mail Services
- Compiles/organizes finished jobs for final billing
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma/GED
- 2-3 years' experience in digital print production operations, including bindery & large format
- Ability to operate digital presses and bindery equipment
- Detailed oriented with the ability to multi-task
- 2 years' customer service experience and proven customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability and experience in being a proactive problem solver with the ability to work independently and work well within a diverse environment and in collaboration with others
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- MIS print software
- Digital press RIP systems
- Office Suite
- Preflight software
- Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- In-plant experience a plus
- Cash register experience
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.