Assistant Athletic Trainer
Assist in supervision and coordination of the Department of Athletics overall sports medicine program, including, but not limited to: injury prevention, evaluation, management, and treatment of athletic injuries, short-term and long-term rehabilitation of athletic injuries, education and counseling of student-athletes, and athletics related health care administration in consultation with and under the supervision of the Director of Athletic Medicine, Team Physician(s) and other qualified medical personnel.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide athletic training services for the University's athletic department as directed by the Director of Athletic Medicine, and/or Team Physician(s), including attendance at scheduled team practices and home and away competitions as necessary;
- Assist in coordination and scheduling of all student-athletes for physical examinations, and medical referrals, and in determination of a student-athlete's ability to practice and/or compete in consultation with the Director of Athletic Medicine, and/or Team Physician(s);
- Assist in identifying professional medical service needs of the entire intercollegiate athletics department including the scheduling and coordinating of athletic training staff and students for coverage of all team practices and athletic competitions;
- Consult with the Director of Athletic Medicine, and/or Team Physician(s) for guidance on the treatment of injured student-athletes, and report on their progress;
- Report the status of injured student-athletes to coaching staffs and periodically meet to identify and discuss problem areas;
- Help in overseeing the compilation, input, organization, and maintenance of all medical records on the Department of Athletics' student-athletes.
- Assist in maintaining a detailed and accurate inventory log of all over-the-counter medications, and is dually responsible for the proper storage of all over-the-counter medications as dictated by the State of Colorado and the Drug Enforcement Agency;
- Assist in securing and maintaining all student-athlete's insurance policy information;
- Assist reviewing and approving all medical bills and insurance claims to determine accuracy and compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules and regulations, and supervise the prompt processing of all medical bills and insurance claims;
- Help with maintenance of all athletic training room supplies and equipment;
- Assist with developing and maintaining an Athletic Medicine handbook / policy manual for staff and student athletic trainers;
- Help to establish and enforce codes of conduct and rules of use for the athletic training facilities and equipment;
- Share in the responsibility of athletic training room maintenance and upkeep;
- Help in overseeing the organization and administration of an Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens as dictated by the State of Colorado and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA);
- Help maintain and update the emergency management protocol and lightning policy for all athletic teams in conjunction with the Director of Athletic Medicine, /or Team Physician(s), area emergency medical services, and local hospitals;
- Work in conjunction with the athletic performance staff with regard to the strength, conditioning, and flexibility of student-athletes, injury prevention, exercise technique, and rehabilitation of injured student-athletes;
- Work in conjunction with the Athletic Nutrition, University dining services, Team Physician(s), and various coaching staffs and other personnel regarding student-athlete nutritional issues, including but not limited to the prevention and treatment of eating disorders, weight gain and weight reduction techniques.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the athletics facilities manager, physical plant and grounds department regarding the safety of practice and competition surfaces and general field/court conditions;
- Represent the University of Colorado Colorado Springs and the Athletic Medicine Department at university events, conferences, and/or national meetings as required or requested;
- Maintains certification and license requirements of the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification (NATABOC), State of Colorado, and CPR and AED certification.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletic Medicine and/or Athletic Department Administration.
Sport Assignment: Men's Basketball and Men and Women's Track and Field.
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Salary Range: $36,000.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor's degree in the appropriate area of specialization and four (4) years of directly related experience at the collegiate level.
- Must be certified by the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification (NATABOC).
- Must be certified in CPR/AED.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to lift 50lb.
- Must be able to work outdoors during inclement weather.
- Must be able to stand for an extended amount of time.
Master's degree in an appropriate area of specialization and 3+ years of directly related professional experience at the collegiate level.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by May 4, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Attach: CPR/AED Completed Training Certificate
Job Category: Athletics
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40009 - IntercollegiateAthleticsAdm
Posting Date: Apr 10, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ashley Klug
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00745096