Director of Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships (Academic Program Director)
Reporting to the Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Student Life, the Director of Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships is responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Oversees curriculum development and operations of two of the College's specialized academic programs (Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships and Education Abroad) under executive oversight.
- Designs, implements and monitors a comprehensive academic program development plan to guide the College's most outstanding students through their applications to all major nationally competitive fellowships, as well as highly selective scholarships internal to Hunter or CUNY, at the discretion of the President and the Dean of Students.
- Administers all curricular, administrative, and financial aspects of the program for fielding, annually, the most competitive possible cohort of candidates for prestigious fellowships in every discipline and rank.
- Will design a strategic plan to further enhance program offerings, develop proposals and other initiatives for expanded program support, oversee routine program evaluation efforts, and manage its annual budget.
- Cultivates and maintains strategic College and external partnerships and assists, when needed, with faculty recruitment. Serving as primary liaison to faculty and administrators.
- Collaborates with the heads of each of Hunter's honors programs as well as the Associate Provost for Student Success and Retention, with the Departmental Chairs, the Dean of the Arts and Sciences, and the Provost to identify student talent and to execute programming activities.
- Develops a vision for the Education Abroad Office, and supervises the Director of that office in implementing a more ambitious and diverse range of study abroad opportunities than has existed in the past.
- Oversees all curricular, administrative, and financial aspects of Education Abroad as well as manage personnel in both offices, which include two professional staff (one of whom is a Higher Education Manager) and five college assistants.
- Advocates for both the Office of Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships and the Education Abroad among faculty, administrators, and students throughout the campus.
- Supervises local campus outreach and publicity efforts in print and electronic media.
Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required.
- Doctorate degree preferred.
- Extensive experience managing staff, overseeing budgets, and initiating innovative new curricular and skill enhancement programming.
- Experience working closely with high achieving students in every major and at every semester level.
- Experience working with honors program advisors.
- Proven ability to work well with faculty.
- Ability to produce a visionary strategic plan for both fellowships and study abroad that comprehends the needs and qualities of a diverse and talented student population.
- Demonstrated understanding of the qualities, experiences, and capacities that constitute high quality applicants in nationally prestigious scholarship programs.
- Ability to clearly communicate to students how to develop a competitive portfolio and intimate familiarity with the fellowship preparation process employed at highly selective colleges.
- Evidence of the ability to identify, cultivate, support and coach talented students who have won the most distinguished, nationally competitive scholarships available.
- Experience conducting or hosting information sessions on nationally competitive fellowship programs of every kind.
- Development of partnerships with external fellowship granting agencies.
- Ability to offer intensive personal essay writing workshops for aspiring applicants at every semester level.
- Experience creating academically oriented and community building programming to students as a means of identifying and cultivating student talent.
- A record of publication and research that demonstrates adherence to the standards and expectations of professional, scholarly achievement is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills are essential.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs curriculum development and operations of a College's specialized academic program under executive oversight.
- Designs, implements and monitors a comprehensive academic program development plan
- Administers all curricular, administrative, and financial aspects of the program
- Oversees program evaluation efforts and creates strategic plan to further develop program offerings
- Manages annual budget; develops proposals and other initiatives for expanded program support
- Cultivates and maintains strategic partnerships; serves as primary liaison to faculty and administrators to plan and execute programming activities
- May participate in faculty recruitment efforts
- Manages professional and clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Program Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
($75,971-$108,683). Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of three references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin April 23, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
Job Title: Director of Prestigious Scholarships and Fellowships (Academic Program Director) - Division of Student Affairs
Job ID: 18407
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.