Startup Colorado Regional Director (Eastern Plains)
Areas of Intereset: Legal
Functional Areas: School of Law
Department: CU School of Law
Requisition Number: 10893
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 22-Jun-2018
Startup Colorado strives to establish and sustain entrepreneurial communities across the state by creating a collaborative support network of key resources in support of growth and helping impactful companies obtain flexible capital. Ultimately, Startup Colorado’s aim is to catalyze local, regional and statewide support that becomes self-sustaining over time, not to own and operate all activities in perpetuity.
Who We Are
We are an engaged, diverse, and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni who help one another succeed. Our selective admissions process keeps our student body small, enabling our faculty, staff, alumni, and community to invest deeply in each student’s success. Because we take our responsibility to educate and train future lawyers very seriously, our curriculum, research centers, and experiential learning opportunities are designed to prepare students for success in today’s changing legal environment.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Relationship/Network Development: Relationships and networks are built by in-person interactions. Those interactions create community, which leads to outcomes for entrepreneurs. The Regional Director will curate and maintain networks that provide consistent and persistent support to entrepreneurs. This will include developing key activities that catalyze the development of those relationships (see below).
- Key Resources: The Regional Director will connect entrepreneurs to key resources that are available and meet the needs of their business. The Regional Director will achieve this by growing the network of available resources, including, talent, education, and events, to meet the needs of each community.
- Talent: Beyond identifying existing talent, attracting and retaining high skilled individuals takes concentrated efforts.
- Capital Ecosystems: While not all businesses require investment, capital is one of the biggest enabling forces for any young company. Educating and connecting entrepreneurs to appropriate capital resources will be a key area of focus.
- Target Community Identification: Identify potential target communities using data gathered from local entrepreneurs, as well as feedback and suggestions. Lead a workshop with community leaders, entrepreneurs, and investors to identify the community’s key needs.
- Ecosystem Mapping: Work with each community to establish a comprehensive overview of their current entrepreneurship ecosystem and method for tracking each community's progress.
- Network Creation: Work to develop and implement a statewide mentor network that meets the needs of target communities in your region, enabling Front Range entrepreneurs to contribute to local communities.
- Sector-specific Events: Provide support for sector-specific events covering topics relative to entrepreneurs in a specific industry.
- Local Events: Work with communities to create and sustain regular local events that create the opportunity for members of the local community to connect with entrepreneurs. These events include: meetups, coffee clubs, happy hours, etc
- Startup Showcase: Provide planning and support for startup showcase events at the request of a community leader.
- Community Leader Enhancement: Representatives from each community will also take part in network and community building activities.
What We Can Offer
A competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Ambitious. Be Informed. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- At least two years of experience working with entrepreneurial communities and relevant activities including past experience working directly with or in a startup.
What You Will Need
- An entrepreneurial attitude, with the ability to work with very little supervision, work well in teams and operate proactively, together with a willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks as needed for the success of the program.
- Demonstrated professionalism, attention to detail and an understanding of the critical importance of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and ability to follow through
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing startup environment
- Ability to interact with high-level CEOs and other C-level executives in a professional manner
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of different constituents
- High-energy and ability to thrive at public-facing networking and professional events
- Available to work some evenings and weekends.
- Excellent written communication skills and strong organizational and project management skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Basic understanding of venture capital and relevant investment models.
- History living and working in a smaller community.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer