Senior Director of Development
Areas of Intereset: Business/Management
Functional Areas: Office of Advancement
Department: University of Colorado Boulder Development Administration
Requisition Number: 10892
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 28-Jun-2018
The Office of Advancement at CU Boulder welcomes applications for a Senior Director of Development. This position serves as a major gifts officer for Law, managing portfolio of 100 or more top donors and prospects and primarily securing gifts of $100,000 (+); accompanies and assists Law Dean and other faculty on donor visits; directs donor research and prospecting activities with respect to their portfolio and others they may manage; stands in for Assistant Dean for Advancement at events and meetings and on task forces when asked; and may manage one or more development professionals. Usually minimum of 6-8 years fundraising experience required. (Significant experience with gifts of at least $100K required).
Who We Are
Welcome to Colorado Law. We are an engaged, diverse, and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni who help one another succeed. Our selective admissions process keeps our student body small, enabling our faculty, staff, alumni, and community to invest deeply in each student’s success. Because we take our responsibility to educate and train future lawyers very seriously, our curriculum, research centers, and experiential learning opportunities are designed to prepare students for success in today’s changing legal environment.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Serve as a major gifts officer for Law, developing and managing portfolio of at least 100 individual prospects capable of making significant gifts.
- Work on corporate and foundation gift opportunities in conjunction with campus central Corporate and Foundation (CFR) office and Colorado Law team as assigned.
- Focus on securing six and seven-figure gift commitments.
- Review portfolio to ensure appropriate mix of donors (discovery, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship) and capacity ($100K+).
- Work daily to ensure timely, accurate completion of proposals, pledges and fund agreements.
- Lead special fundraising/development projects for Law when requested.
- Develop strategic plans for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding each donor.
- Meet established measurable targets for each fiscal year (e.g., personal visits, moves, solicitations, assists and other metrics as defined).
- Assist with development of Law annual operating plan and goals.
- Assist with donor research and prospecting activities, including active leadership in pipeline meetings for Law development officers to review fundraising priorities and prospect pipelines.
- Document prospect strategies and contact reports, evaluates new prospects and generates stewardship reports and general correspondence to cultivate major gift prospects.
- Seek to enlarge Law donor base beyond alumni.
Representation of Department and University
- Assist Assistant Dean for Advancement with scheduling and planning donor visits for Colorado Law Dean and accompanies Dean on visits and travel.
- Represent Law at Boulder Campus and CU System cultivation and stewardship events when appropriate.
- Serve as backup to Law Assistant Dean for Advancement for senior leadership meetings, working groups and other Boulder Advancement projects as requested.
What You Should Know
- This position may involve in or out of state travel eight or more times annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Strategic. Be Successful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required.
- At least 6 years of top level, successful fundraising experience.
- Management experience required.
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Products; MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; donor tracking software (BSR helpful).
What You Will Need
- Depth of knowledge of fundraising, including strong understanding of commonly used planned giving vehicles.
- Ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships and communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze information/situations and solve problems.
- Experience managing sensitive information discreetly and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of current issues facing legal education, public universities and interests of Law School, students, faculty, and alumni.
- Ability to cultivate, solicit and secure six and seven-figure gifts.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Graduate work in related field.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer