Job ID: 24594
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1762
Department: Accounting Services
Classification: Accountant I
Salary Range: $3,664/month - $6,667/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The entry level professional accountant position has primary responsibility for the generation of routine financial reports and statements and/or analysis requiring understanding and interpretation in the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the variety of work assignments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Examine financial documents for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with established policies and procedures and general accounting standards.
- Reconcile reports and financial data with financial statements on file; correct and reconcile account balances to external data.
- Prepare Journal Entries, resolve problems associated with incorrect entries, deviations from established procedures, and other inconsistencies with accounting principles.
- Prepare routine financial reports and statements. Provide input to the documentation and maintenance of business processes, standards and procedures.
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to other employees and may provide work direction to other professional and/or technical staff.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to a bachelors degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Equivalent to a Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field; or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- 3 years of experience in higher education and fund accounting.
- Experience using Oracle PeopleSoft ERP general ledger module.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures.
- Ability to learn and apply laws, rules, and procedures related to governmental accounting.
- General knowledge of statistical and mathematical presentation of Data.
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- Ability to analyze financial and statistical data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to utilize problem solving techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
June 8, 2018
Application Screening begins June 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046