Hyde Park Campus
20114 BSD Shared Research Facilities
About the Unit
The Office of Shared Research Facilities (OSRF) oversees the core facilities, which make up a pivotal and essential part of the research ecosystem, providing critical resources that enable existing and emerging technologies to facilitate groundbreaking discoveries. OSRF Cores offer expertise in state-of-the-art instrumentation and services as well as experimental design and data analysis to advance research programs across the disciplines. Operated as fee-for-service facilities, OSRF cores are managed in order to best support the University's mission to discover and create new knowledge of living systems. We are driven by the research needs of the faculty. The University of Chicago cGMP Core which is part of the Biological Sciences Division (BSD) offers a state of the art-controlled laboratory environment as well as resources and consultative services for preparing cellular and biological products for human clinical trials. The Facility is FDA registered and follows regulations set forth by 21CFR Part 1271, which outlines requirements for preparing human cells, tissues and tissue-based products for treating patients.
Under the supervision of the Technical Director of the cGMP Core this position requires the candidate to
collaborate within a team atmosphere that manufactures clinical grade vaccine products in the cGMP
Clinical Trial Manufacturing Facility. This candidate will also work independently and be assigned back up duties to support the maintenance of the facility operations.
- Take biweekly particle counts in the Production Areas and prepare report, take environmental monitoring samples monthly in production areas (with Rodac Plates)
- Processes supply orders on Buysite and through pharmacy, processes inventory – obtains certificates (Certificate of Analysis, Certificate of Sterility, Certificate of Conformance, etc.) for all items
- Stock Facility and supporting areas with supplies and gowns
- Maintain inventory levels for facility, vaccine preparations, cell therapy and islet preparations
- Perform Endotoxin assays as need for Cell Therapy Process
- Schedule and prepares microbiology lab forms in 4Medica
- Deliver sterility and gram stain samples to Microbiology and obtain results through 4Medica and/or directly with Micro Lab personnel
- Prepare kits of supplies used in manufacturing for all campaigns
- Perform room change-over in facility after campaigns with specialized cleaning to maintain GMP fashion
- Process gowns to Aramark for sterilizing/cleaning and maintains inventory levels
- Assist with facility repairs/maintenance
- Transport prepared vaccines/cell therapy products to the clinic or pharmacy, test and check eye wash station, change gas tanks and maintain chemical inventory for EH&S
- Ability to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills required
- Ability to gown and work in an aseptic/clean room environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Capacity to exhibit organizational skills required
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Strong emphasis on documentation according to FDA regulations
- Execute and lead operation to comply with all written procedures, to include Batch Records and SOPs
Education and Experience:
- Associate's degree required; in a scientific field preferred
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Experience with laboratory skills and techniques
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Capacity to handle multiple tasks and competing demands under tight time-frames
- Ability to work under pressure, manage competing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions and solve problems in complex situations
- Ability to read and write documents including protocol and SOP's
- Ability to independently learn new techniques
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional manner while respecting confidentiality
- Excellent customer/staff interpersonal skills
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/