Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their teaching home. When you join our talented faculty team, you'll play a special role as teacher, mentor and academic advisor. We'll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
Responsible for providing support to Business Services Department in the functions of: Mail & Distribution to support daily receiving/delivery of all incoming and outgoing parcels and mail. This position will also assist in tasks of Inventory and Surplus as needed, including the monitoring of pending purchase orders and entering data into the PeopleSoft system. Incumbent, working within a logistics environment under the guidance of the designated supervisor, will perform skilled duties in the following areas: processing mail, receiving of equipment and packages, tagging of inventory, movement of surplus & recyclable property generated at the college, tracking of property from receipt to final disposition.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- May perform property control duties including: inputting data into SendSuite Tracking System, identifying assets which meet criteria/threshold to be tagged on-site and complete e-form process which may include a review of related purchase orders;
- May provide support in disbursement of assets and equipment or recyclable property, loading, unloading, picking up, and delivering surplus/recyclable items as needed;
- May receive all incoming mail, packages; provide courier/distribution service throughout the college community;
- May assist in unloading, loading, picking up and delivering surplus/recyclable goods on a weekly basis or as needed using a variety of equipment;
- Recognize suspicious packages and implement security procedures. Recognize release or potential for release of hazardous substances from packages and implements security procedures;
- May operate various mail equipment including a high-tech inserter, computerized postage meter with scale and bar code reader, and inserting machine;
- Inspect for visible and/or concealed damage and verify number of packages, pieces, etc. prior to accepting delivery. Note degree of damage and/or shortages on freight carrier's delivery ticket or Bill of Lading;
- Determine packages or materials requiring special handling (i.e. priority/next day delivery, fragile);
- Route packages and materials to appropriate person(s) and college location(s) according to established procedures;
- Prepare delivery ticket, affix delivery ticket to package/materials, and place in the proper deliver to location shelf/area;
- May perform routine preventive maintenance on district delivery vehicles;
- May maintain required reports for vehicle maintenance and volume tracking;
- Ensure prompt delivery is made by receiving and/or small package delivery personnel specifically of priority/next day, special handling packages;
- May input package receiving information into the package tracking system for the creation of the bar coded internal shipping label;
- May maintain receiving log and provide reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis as required;
- May receive and distribute packages purchased with college purchasing, maintain special order file from information that is provided by end user department;
- Provide end user department with proof of delivery signature that is maintained in the handheld scanning devise;
- Keep office, warehouse, shop, delivery vehicles, and break room areas clean and free of dirt, clutter, and debris;
- Observe proper safety precautions and procedures in all job functions and maintain all tools and equipment used in the course of daily duties in good/clean operating condition;
- May provide support with the Inventory Control Identification and bar code tracking tagging and subsequent delivery of capital assets (equipment);
- May perform property control duties including: tag inventory items, record asset data with palm scanning unit, upload data to computer, identify items that are to be tagged on-site, record tag numbers and serial numbers on original purchase orders; make copies of packing lists and purchase orders for distribution to Asset Management Departments;
- May screen various types of documents to verify the accuracy of charges; and
- May research unidentifiable mail and parcels for proper delivery.
High school diploma or equivalent required.
Two (2) years of experience in acquiring property or receiving and storing property; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and / or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledgeable of all applicable postal laws, rules, and regulations;
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with customers, students, and couriers;
- Able to effectively work individually or in a team environment;
- General knowledge of current Postal Rules & Regulations;
- Familiarity with package tracking software and equipment (Pitney Bowes Arrival/Send Suite);
- Strong organizational and administrative skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of PC, Windows, MS Word, Excel and the Internet;
- Knowledge of receiving and storage techniques;
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures;
- Possess skills in operating motorized equipment for transportation and storage of surplus or excess property;
- Must be reliable in attendance and keeping the assigned work schedule;
- Must be able to lift and carry objects up to 50 pounds and exert force to move objects up to 100 lbs.; and
- Must be in good physical health and be able to lift, bend, stoop, climb and pull with no difficulties.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.