Senior Research & Development Engineer
Senior Research & Development Engineer
Job Number: 79252
Senior Research & Development Engineer Grade: K FTE: 100%, exempt School of Engineering, Stanford Nanofabrication Facility Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems. The Stanford Nanofabrication Facility (SNF) at Stanford University is seeking a Senior R&D Engineer to help expand and diversify, as well as support, its research operations. The SNF consists of a 10Kft2 cleanroom and 4Kft2 of satellite lab spaces housing over 150 pieces of equipment, used for fabricating devices, structures, and systems. The SNF is first and foremost a service organization providing tools and know-how to academic and industrial researchers who numbered nearly 600 this year. The candidate for this position must have broad, hands-on, lab experience, ideally in optical lithography and plasma etch. The position will work closely with lab members to facilitate their fabrication projects as well as support research operations. Although the core competency of SNF is based in semiconductor technologies, its tool set is evolving to support new research demands; thus, the candidate should have a strong background relevant to semiconductor equipment, yet be flexible and well-versed in engineering fundamentals in order to adapt to a changing technology landscape. CORE DUTIES*:
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Education & Experience: Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in physical sciences or engineering technologies, publications and patents desirable. Hands-on experience in performing/directing development of fabrication processes, ideally in an R&D setting, including fundamental understanding of:
- Fabrication processes. Diffusion, deposition, etch, lithography and how these various functional areas are integrated in device fabrication; analytical/characterization methods in fabrication.
- Statistics and experimental design.
- Equipment systems. Vacuum, gas delivery, liquid handling, utilities; repair tools, such as leak detectors, oscilloscopes.
- Laboratory and chemical safety in a research environment.
- Engineering principles. Control theory, systems/logic communications, and engineering design principles.
- Fabrication for cross-disciplinary research or other research applications outside of silicon electronics.
- Integrated systems, transfer/hybrid/flexible electronics, test/assembly.
- Rapid prototyping methods (3-D printing, CNC, CAD-CAM, laser micromachining).
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job. Why Stanford is for You We provide market competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our unique perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. As one of the greatest intellectual hubs in the world, take advantage of development programs, tuition reimbursement plus $800 you receive annually towards skill-building classes, or audit a Stanford course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. Create an avatar and participate in virtual reality adventures or join one with fellow staff on Stanford vacations!
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
Location: School of Engineering, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.