Assoc VP-Strategic Comm
Working Title Assoc VP-Strategic Comm
Eastern Washington is currently seeking an Associate Vice President for Strategic Communications and Marketing.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Strategic Communications and Marketing will bear primary responsibility for devising and implementing a university-wide integrated marketing and communications plan that will positively advance the university's mission and vision to both internal and external audiences. In addition, while serving as a member of the division's senior leadership team, the AVP will advise the Vice President for University Advancement and executive leadership of the university on internal and external marketing and communications strategies to build, protect, and sustain a positive image of Eastern Washington University (EWU) in support of fundraising and enrollment.
The AVP will successfully guide the current marketing initiatives of EWU while mapping a clear path for the University's continued growth and sustainability. The AVP oversees campus wide and executive communications, while providing sophisticated, strategic direction for all day-to-day operations and associated business affairs of the University's Marketing and Communications unit.
This is the ideal opportunity for a strategic marketing/brand expert, collaborative partner, and skilled communicator with a deep understanding of consumer growth and fundraising priorities, and strategic communications. The AVP will be an accomplished relationship-builder, skilled storyteller, and diligent leader who will be inspired by the rich history of EWU.
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]Required Qualifications:
- Master's Degree
- Minimum of seven years' experience working with high-profile professionals and being engaged in the life of a community; making independent judgments; working with a wide diversity of people and constituencies.
- Minimum of five years experience working in a leadership capacity in a communications field.
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience.
- Minimum of three years experience working on a fundraising or consumer growth campaigns.
- Successful candidate will have exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills as well as outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills; be competent in Windows-based computer programs including MS Word and Excel.
- Must be able to work independently, prioritize projects, and manage multiple and competing priorities while meeting deadlines
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Increasing responsibility working with executives as it relates to strategic communications and/or marketing/branding.
- Experience with budget management.
- Experience working in or with higher education.
- Experience leading the creation and implementation of a rebranding effort.
- Experience working with media and/or crisis communications.
- Experience working as a web/print designer and/or social media specialist
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Able to master a wide range of relationships, tasks, and perspectives.
population of students, faculty, staff, and external constituencies.
- Education and experience in integrated marketing, branding, media relations and/or associated fields.
- Experience with executive level and mission-critical communication strategies.
- Experience in analyzing situations and giving sound professional judgment on strategic communications.
- Experience collaborating with designers, web developers, photographers, multimedia specialists, content developers and social media communicators.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices in crisis and emergency communications.
- Knowledge of current marketing landscape, including new media platforms and modern promotional techniques.
- Skill in conceiving and overseeing the implementation of marketing communications plans and strategies and in providing leadership to staff and colleagues to achieve desired objectives.
- Experience translating organizational priorities into structured, strategically aligned plans with objectives, strategies, tactics, timelines, resources, metrics, etc.
- Strong oral, written and verbal communication skills to communicate with the university community and general public and skills to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Ability to think creatively and propose bold ideas.
- Skills to establish an environment of and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to think quickly and appropriately to effectively address potentially negative, sensitive or difficult situations. Expert skill in problem recognition, avoidance and resolution.
- Ability to set and adhere to priorities, delegate, manage time and resources, monitor organizational productivity, and make real-time adjustments as needed to ensure best results.