Office of Student Life
University of Charleston
The University of Charleston seeks candidates for a 10-month part-time position of Counselor in the Universities Counseling Center providing counseling and outreach services to UC students. The successful candidate will provide individual, couples, and group counseling, crisis intervention, consultation, and outreach programming, as well as referrals to psychiatric and/or medical personnel. The Counselor will report to the Coordinator of Counseling and Outreach Services and work closely with staff from the Office of Student Life, Disability Services, Career Services, Residence Life and Housing, Athletics, and other faculty and staff from across the campus.
- Provides short term direct psychological counseling services to enrolled University of Charleston students, including intake assessments and treatment planning.
- Provides group therapy sessions when needed.
- Consults with and/or makes referrals to other professionals, outside agencies, or campus support.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with University faculty, staff, and students as well as local mental health providers.
- Maintains accurate and complete case files.
- Needs a solid understanding, and an ability to use and apply different concepts, theories, principles, practices, and terminology within counseling or clinical psychology.
- All other duties as assigned. This is a part-time position not eligible for University benefits. Work hours are limited to 20 hours per week during August 1 to May 31.
- Master's degree (doctoral degree preferred) in Counseling, Psychology, or Social work
- Candidate is required to have a full license or be license eligible as a Mental Health Counselor/Clinician in the State of West Virginia
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in time-limited psychotherapy
- Experience in the following but not limited to:
- Crisis intervention and consultation
- Eating disorders, substance abuse, anxiety, and self-harm
- Ability to work at a fast pace and handle spontaneous work demands
- Evidence of interest in working with a diverse young adult population and demonstrated multicultural competence
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Computer literacy and data analysis.
- Experience in providing outreach or psycho-educational programming; strong communication skills.
To apply for position, send cover letter and resume to:
University of Charleston
Attention: Virginia Moore, Dean of Students
2300 MacCorkle Avenue, SE, Charleston, WV 25304
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for Counselor (Part-Time)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly