Laboratory & Research Specialist, Senior (Part-time)
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) invites qualified applicants to apply for the Laboratory & Research Specialist, Senior position in the Physical Sciences Department, located in Gloucester Point, VA
This part time hourly position with a weekly anticipated range of 10 - 15 hours.
The Laboratory & Research Specialist in the VIMS Sediment and Isotope Geochronology Labs is responsible for all of the functions of the field, laboratory and data analysis operations.
The position requires the maintenance of online data bases and website related to the Sediment and Isotope Geochronology Lab, and has the lead responsibility for laboratory Radiation Safety.
Staging and conducting field work. Oversees key aspects of laboratory operation and participating the laboratory investigations. Serves as the lead data and quality control analyst, and training of students and guest scientists. Assistance with field operations to collect field geologic data, sediment cores, and geophysical data.
- Some college course work in sedimentology, coastal geology, marine science, GIS, chemistry, physics, data management, statistics, or other related courses.
- Certified to work in radioisotope laboratory.
- Knowledge of appropriate laboratory techniques and procedures with the ability to collect and process samples for grain-size distribution, mineralogy, roundedness, Munsell color, and other stratigraphic and sedimentological descriptions.
- Knowledge of geochronology dating techniques, such as radiocarbon sample preparation and short-lived radioisotope dating techniques.
- Basic familiarity with field techniques including vibracoring, augering, and surface sampling.
- Proficiency with a variety of software applications, including Microsoft office. Knowledge of GIS and software tools for data analysis. Familiarity with data management to include data collection, and the ability to maintain and analyze data.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all level of staff & faculty, as well as work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to assist in technical writing.
- Experience using basic laboratory procedures and utilizing field equipment.
- Experience performing field collection of sediments and geophysical data.
Bachelors degree or equivalent, ideally with focus in geology, marine science, or environmental science.
- Knowledge of e-VA (the Commonwealth of VA state purchasing system).
- Demonstrated skills in Programming language such as “R” or familiarity with other tools such as Matlab.
- Familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS, with the ability to perform GIS Mapping.
- Experience preparing samples for radio- carbon dating and using gamma counters for radioisotope dating is highly desirable.
- Experience with database management, to include analyzing data is highly desirable.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS, Adobe Illustrator, MatLab, and R is desirable.
- Experience with eVA purchasing software is a plus.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.