Adjunct ELA Professor
Centralia College is seeking qualified part-time ELA instructors for multi-level hybrid or web-enhanced on-site and off-site classes that will be taught in early afternoon or evening hours. The instructors will provide English language instruction for limited English proficient adults in order to increase their ability to communicate in English while learning about career pathways and technology. Instruction also includes basic math concepts and integrates technology into the instruction with Canvas. Instructors must be willing to teach Integrated Digital English Acceleration (I-DEA) curriculum.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and/or update class syllabus
- Develop and teach to the objectives of the approved curriculum
- Teach productive and constructive study skills to students
- Identify individual learning needs of students and make appropriate adjustments to instruction
- Create and maintain an environment of rapport and respect
- Maintain up-to-date appropriate records which indicate student progress and attendance that meet college requirements
- Complete student intake and administer CASAS pre- and post-testing
- Present a certificate of completion of Canvas 101, or complete Canvas 101 training within the first two quarters of employment
- Complete mandatory CASAS trainings for assessment
- Meet with program coordinator every other week
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree with emphasis in ELL/ELA/ESL
- Formal classroom teaching experience
- Knowledge of English Language Acquisition
- Certificate or Master's degree in ELL/ELA/ESL, Adult Education, English, foreign languages, linguistics or closely related field.
- Recent experience teaching basic skills and/or English to college ready non-English speakers at a community college or similar setting.
- Experience in curriculum design and teaching cross-culturally, multi-level classes face-to-face, hybrid and online.