Dermatopathology Lab Asst
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Dermatology
Dermatopathology Lab Assistant (Lab Support I)
Position #709021 - Requisition 13860
The Department of Dermatology has an opening for a part-time, University Staff (unclassified) Dermatopathology Lab Assistant (Lab Support I) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado | Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Dermatopathology Laboratory Assistant. This part-time (0.50 FTE), University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for performing data entry and laboratory functions in accordance with departmental procedures and policies.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Accession specimens.
- Label slides following guidelines outlined in the accordance with CU policies.
- Assist the histotechnologist with specimen block retrieval.
Supply and Maintenance:
- Prepare and label necessary slides and reagents according to the procedure manual.
- Maintain record keeping logs according to the policy manual guidelines.
- Maintain equipment according to company procedures.
Data Entry & Management:
- Enter and print necessary labels.
- Print necessary patient information.
- File histology blocks and/or slides.
- Assist with inventory control and restock supply orders.
- Wash and maintain glass and plastic ware.
- Ensure proper disposal of chemicals as per CU policy.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- One (1) year of laboratory support experience.
Substitution: Education which provided the same kind, amount and level of knowledge acquired in the required experience may substitute for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to:
- Lift/push/pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Previous experience with specimen collection, data collection and quality assurance monitoring.
- Experience entering specimen and patient data into an electronic computer system.
- Experience maintaining and cleaning laboratory space and equipment.
- Experience working in a higher education/medical education lab environment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong mental agility and physical dexterity.
- Ability to follow through with both complex and mundane tasks.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Must be able to exercise patience and accuracy in the face of multiple interruptions.
- Ability to observe strict safety precautions when handling biological specimens and chemicals.
Diversity and Equity
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Office of Equity by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (303) 315-2567.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Kia Silverman at Kia.Silverman@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20143 - SOM-Dermatology
Posting Date: Jun 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kia Silverman
Posting Contact Email: Kia.Silverman@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00709021