Office Assistant 1 (Spanish Language)
Office Assistant 1 (Spanish Language)-1801373
Office Assistants 1 (Spanish Language) performs office support and clerical work to meet the requirements of agency programs. Such work may consist of, but is not limited to: performing data entry; math or calculations; mail, supply, and inventory functions; keyboarding and other document preparation tasks; answering telephones; completing forms; assisting customers; creating or assisting in the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and tables; and performing other related activities. This work is accomplished in accordance with applicable procedures, rules, regulations, and laws.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a Office Assistant 1 (Spanish Language) may include the following but are not limited to:
General Office Support
- Answer questions from and provide information to various parties regarding agency activities, transactions, and procedures. Refer inquiries as necessary.
- Operate various communication systems such as telephones and computers; and keep records of such communications.
- Operate, and perform basic cleaning and maintenance on office machines and equipment. Clear paper jams in copiers, scanners and printers; replace toner cartridges; and clean keyboards and screens.
- Schedule appointments and meetings using various office tools.
- Perform routine processing activities, including checking forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Front desk - greet patients and visitors and take appropriate action.
- Retrieve and log calls received.
- Data entry for Financial Assistance on Excel spreadsheet.
- Scan assorted documents in to designated folders.
- Assist supervisor with special projects and assist coworkers as needed.
- Answer phones and take messages.
- Maintain basic financial, accounting, and/or statistical records.
- Perform calculations and computations using known and standard formulas and methods (primarily using computers and calculators).
- As needed and as directed, contact various internal and external parties to obtain information.
- Prepare, process, review, and record numerical transactions and records. This activity may include: processing bills and vouchers; reviewing or auditing calculations or statistics; or disbursing items of value such as cash or vouchers.
Keyboarding and Document Preparation
- Type, proofread, review, and correct correspondence, documents, records, and other written material.
- Make appropriate corrections for format, accuracy, and validity.
- Assist in gathering or compiling data for reports, graphs, charts, tables, or other products.
- Create graphs, charts, or other visual aids to display data. May also prepare routine reports or assist others in the preparation of reports, following established guidelines.
Record-keeping and Filing
- Maintain, update, and correct records and files.
- Receive, screen, review, and verify documents and/or forms.
- Review applications, claims, and other documents for completeness, content, and accuracy.
- Establish new files by coding and numbering forms, creating folders, and compiling relevant material.
Mail and Supply
- Receive, pick up, deliver, open, appropriately record, time stamp, sort, and distribute mail, e-mail, or other forms of correspondence or communication.
- Maintain files, correspondence, documents, and materials, pursuant to guidelines.
- Maintain various listings for mail service purposes.
- Process outgoing mail by inserting letters into envelops, sealing envelopes, and applying correct postage.
- Review, investigate and correct returned mail.
Data Entry and Verification
- Enter data into and retrieve information from computerized systems.
- Verify data previously transcribed or entered to detect errors.
- Perform various clerical or office assistance tasks such as scanning documents, and verifying accuracy of data from scanned documents.
- Receive, unload, unpack, sort, store, count, and distribute goods received by the office, following established procedures.
- Advise supervisor upon receipt of damaged goods or incomplete or incorrect shipments.
- Issue and may deliver goods from stock according to procedure.
- May package goods for shipment.
- Take periodic physical inventory and maintain perpetual inventory records.
- Keep shelves and stock clean, neat, and in proper place.
Required Qualifications: MUST have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service list.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Office Assistant 1
Job Field: Civil Service Positions
Primary Location: US-NY-East Setauket
Department/Hiring Area: Patient Accounting-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30AM - 5:00PMPatient Accounting-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Jun 7, 2018
Posting End Date: Jul 7, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG6