Required Qualifications: (As evidence by an attached resume)
Master's degree (equivalent) or higher in Nursing. Certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) or Adult Health Nurse Practitioner. Current or transfer eligible for New York State license as a Registered Nurse. One (1) year of full-time work experience as a Nurse Practitioner in an outpatient family or general medicine setting.
Experience with college age population. Experience with electronic medical record systems. Qualified to prescribe and manage behavior health medication.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Nurse Practitioner in Student Health Services is responsible for providing high quality and effective patient care through the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of acute and chronic illnesses, injury as well as psychiatric/psychological conditions, as appropriate. The incumbent provides assessment, diagnosis, referrals, crisis intervention, and medication management. In addition to providing direct patient care, the Nurse Practitioner also educates patients with a significant emphasis on health maintenance and preventative measures. The incumbent will work closely with the supervising physician.
- Uses clinical knowledge to identify acute and/or chronic health problems through a comprehensive, age appropriate assessment of patients using skills in taking medical histories, screening, physical examinations, ordering diagnostic tests, making a diagnoses, prescribing appropriate medications and treatments. Provides evidence-based care and provides patient education for self-care, and acute / chronic disease management. Coordinates referrals and arranges for medical follow-up, as appropriate.
- Provide as-needed the above services at either the HSC/East campus, Southampton campus.
- Provide psychiatric assessment and medication management as needed.
- Supervise SHS nurse practitioners students as assigned.
- Liaison/consultation with medical/nursing staff of Student Health Service and University Hospital.
- Other duties as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission. Including University committee service as assigned.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Instructional Support Specialist
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Student Health Services-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.Student Health Services-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Jun 7, 2018
Posting End Date: Jun 21, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience within the range of $95,000-$108,000
Salary Grade: SL4