Station Manager - Illinois Public Media
Illinois Public Media
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois Public Media seeks a Station Manager for the WILL AM-FM-TV public broadcasting stations licensed to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Illinois Public Media, which includes WILL-AM 580, WILL-FM 90.9 and HD, WILL-TV and WILL Online, is a not-for-profit public media service of the College of Media at the University of Illinois. Our mission is to educate, entertain, inspire and empower by airing the best of public television and radio programs, producing local content for broadcast and the Web, and working with community partners to address needs and concerns. Visit www.will.illinois.edu.
The WILL Station Manager has primary responsibility for the daily operations of the WILL Radio and TV stations, including, but not limited to, responsibility for budget administration, compliance matters, programming and production workflows, and strategic planning.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages the day-to-day operations of WILL Radio and TV. This includes programming, audio and video production, traffic, FM music format, and broadcast engineering.
2. Works closely with operations / engineering staff to ensure high broadcast quality for all stations. Optimizes workflows for operational efficiency, as well as quality. Oversees the quality and overall on-air sound and look of the stations.
3. Manages the Broadcast Properties and utilization.
4. Aids in developing programming strategies for radio and TV and oversees program acquisition and scheduling.
5. Works closely with IT and Digital to optimize workflow, efficiency, and strategy across platforms.
6. Participates both on and off air as a spokesperson and fundraiser for the stations.
7. Ensures compliance with all relevant FCC, PBS, and NPR rules and regulations.
8. Ensures compliance with technical and programmatic standards.
9. Prepares and administers the stations' annual operating budget.
10. Participates in capital planning and budget development for Illinois Public Media.
11. Provides leadership in annual and strategic planning for the stations.
12. Participates in grant research and preparation.
13. Fosters community engagement in cross-platform planning and services.
14. Maintains close relationships within the public media system (both PBS, NPR, and other Member Stations), program distributors, and governing bodies.
15. Represents the stations in the College of Media and the University of Illinois.
16. Keeps abreast of the significant issues of public broadcasting and participates as appropriate in state, regional, and national organizations.
17. Represents the WILL stations to external commissions, including elected officials.
18. Represents the stations in the communities they serve, engaging in a variety of community outreach activities.
19. When necessary, responds personally to listener/viewer communications concerning the stations' policies and programming.
1. Minimum of five years' experience in broadcasting, including significant managerial experience.
2. Strong management skills, including ability to manage change and to work collaboratively in developing partnerships and project teams.
3. Ability to work and fundraise productively in the context of a major university and on-air fundraising.
4. Commitment to exercise vigorous and sensitive managerial leadership.
5. Capable of mentoring staff development skills.
6. Ability to meet challenges with flexibility and creativity.
1. Broad understanding of the purposes and mission of public broadcasting.
2. Working knowledge of emerging technologies and distribution platforms.
3. Understanding of programming principles, audience research methodology and interpretation, and compliance and FCC rules.
4. Strong operational knowledge with broad strategic insight.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by June 29, 2018. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Annetta Allison (217) 265-7648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Media/IPM
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Station Manager - Illinois Public Media
Open Date: 06/11/2018
Close Date: 07/09/2018
Organization Name: IPM Administration:General