Disabilities Specialist 3
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Title: Disabilities Specialist 3
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Student Disability Resource Ct
Date Posted: 06/07/2018
Position Information: The Student Disability Resources Center provides services for students with various permanent or temporary disabilities that medically, cognitively, or psychologically impede academic progress. These disabilities may include: learning disabilities; attention deficit disorder; autism, visual, mobility, or hearing impairments; psychological disabilities; chronic systemic disorders (e.g., lupus, Crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, diabetes); fractures, strains, or stress injuries. The Disability Specialist interprets medical documentation to recommend and facilitate reasonable accommodations for students with learning, neurological, and psychological disabilities to ensure their access to the educational opportunities of the University of California, Riverside. The Specialist works with individual students to determine eligibility for disability-related accommodations and provides appropriate follow-up and disability-related counseling. They serve as the campus resource specialist in the development of accommodations and academic adjustments for this population, providing on-going consultation and problem-solving assistance to faculty and staff.
Minimum Requirements: Skill in translating observations, findings, and recommendations from analytical studies into a concise and logical written report.
Demonstrated skill and ability to work effectively, independently, with diverse groups, as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues.
Demonstrated multicultural competence and ability to work with a diverse population.
Thorough knowledge of assessment, accommodation, and intervention techniques involved in employee's specialty, for example, learning disorders, mobility disability, visual impairment, etc.
Skill in maintaining equanimity in the face of resistance, indifference, or hostility.
Thorough knowledge of procedures for assessing and determining disability accommodation issues, including the Disability Compliance Office procedures.
Superior communication skills to effectively and professionally communicate using tact and diplomacy with the internal and external campus community, including with people with a wide variety of disabilities and their representatives.
Strong Knowledge of the legal framework involving accommodations for students with disabilities through state and federal laws and regulations.
Preferred Qualifications: Demonstrated ability to develop and present programs tailored to a particular audience.
Demonstrated ability to train others in basic self advocacy, self helping, and coping skills.
Knowledge, skill, and experience in working with college age adults who have been diagnosed as having learning disabilities, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, neurological disabilities, and psychological/psychiatric disabilities.
Ability to develop innovative approaches for preventative and developmental interventions.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview