Director of Business Services
Areas of Intereset: Business/Management
Functional Areas: Student Affairs
Department: Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
Requisition Number: 10882
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 28-Jun-2018
The Division of Student Affairs welcomes applications for a Director of Business Services. This position will serve as Director of the Student Affairs Business Services Center (BSC). This position is responsible for overseeing all business transactional activity managed by the BSC and reports to the Director of Budget & Operations. The director is responsible for developing and implementing a structural framework for managing BSC financial transactions in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and policies, and consistent with established best practices. Such transactions include, but are not limited to, procuring items on behalf of departments via the CU Marketplace or procurement card, processing expense and travel reimbursement/reconciliation requests for employees and non-employees, and completing journal entries, cash transfers, and cash deposits.
This position works closely with the Procurement Service Center, Campus Controller’s Office, Student Affairs Financial Planning and Reporting Department and Student Affairs Operational Integrity and Compliance teams to provide comprehensive business support services to the Division of Student Affairs. The Director will lead the launch of the BSC and collaborate with division leadership in defining the BSC’s scope of services and customer base. This position oversees teams of business services generalists, program managers and subject matter experts and will incorporate technology into the BSC workflow in order to better manage services and track data.
Who We Are
The Division of Student Affairs values the diverse backgrounds, histories, identities and life experiences of every member of our community. We strive toward inclusive excellence in making our policies, processes, and actions socially just and equitable. We celebrate and embrace differences. We are committed to welcoming and including diverse groups and perspectives in building a climate in which all members can thrive in an environment where they feel at home, welcome and safe.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Oversee Student Affairs Business Services Center (BSC)
- Responsible for building and leading a high-performing BSC including hiring, performance management, coaching and evaluation, progressive discipline and other personnel actions impacting BSC employees.
- Determines appropriate staffing model to provide business transactional support to key Student Affairs departments including organizational structure, staffing levels, roles and reporting lines.
- Assesses current divisional staffing support for business transactional activity and identifies positions that should move into the BSC.
- Creates and implements transition plans for positions and responsibilities that have been identified as appropriate for incorporation into the BSC.
- Mentors and develops BSC staff including training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Establishes protocol and best practices for all BSC business transactional activity.
- Continually assesses departmental performance and plans for ongoing improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit.
- Identifies metrics and uses data to demonstrate division-wide trends and areas in need of BSC support as well as to validate success and reveal areas for improvement within the BSC.
Scope and Deployment of Business Services Center (BSC) Support
- Responsible for the phased expansion of the BSC to enable it to provide division-wide support in core areas.
- Sets strategic and tactical priorities for the BSC in consultation with Director of Budget & Operations.
- Coordinates with division leadership and department directors to define the scope of business services support that the BSC provides both on a department-by-department and a division-wide basis.
- Conducts needs assessment for individual departments and creates service level agreements to meet these needs.
- Manages the expansion of BSC services over time to result in the provision of a core set of services to the entire division.
- Tailors, as needed, the expansion of services to respond to changing demands and an understanding of how the BSC will work in collaboration with other division, campus and university departments.
- Anticipates, and works with division leadership to secure the resources and infrastructure needed to grow and operate an effective BSC including staffing, technology, space, budget, etc.
- Researches, understands and implements business services best practices and constantly evaluates the level of service using data metrics to drive continuous improvement.
- Works closely with the Director of Budget & Operations to plan for each phase of BSC growth.
Student Affairs Budget & Operations Leadership Team
- Serve as a member of the Budget & Operations Leadership Team and will participate in overall strategic planning and stewardship of divisional resources.
- Responsible for keeping the BSC employees informed of division and campus-wide initiatives and to represent the BSC to the broader campus through presentations and committee membership where appropriate.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $90,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Visionary. Be Supportive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Six years of related professional experience with a proven track record of increasing responsibility.
- Two years of progressively responsible management experience within higher education.
- Two years of successful supervisory experience of professional staff.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability as a problem solver.
- Demonstrated customer-service orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Master’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university.
- At least five years of successful experience in planning, developing and implementing complex strategic goals and program initiatives.
- Experience collaborating with students and student leadership.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer