Requisition # 2018-8876
Department Building Services-Custodians
Category Maintenance and Custodial Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 6/21/2018
The Custodian is responsible for all phases of cleaning within the University. Work sites will vary but do include dormitories, athletic buildings, lab/research areas, academic buildings and office areas. Typical tasks will include dusting, mopping the floor, cleaning restrooms, replenishing bathroom supplies, trash removal, vacuuming and extracting carpets, stripping and refinishing of floors, changing light bulbs, and setting up chairs and tables for special events/meetings. This position routinely interacts with members of the campus community and serves a vital role in providing excellent service to the occupants of the University buildings in which they work.
- Clean bathrooms and fill all dispensers.
- Clean light fixtures and change light bulbs if fixtures can be reached with a 6' ladder.
- Empty trash receptacles. Transfer trash and recyclables to dumpster sites.
- Mop, vacuum, extract, and burnish floor surfaces.
- Inspect assigned work areas for maintenance, cleaning and safety needs.
- Clean stairwells and elevators.
- Spot clean windows.
- Clean building exterior of cigarette butts and debris and shovel snow within the immediate vicinity of a building entrance.
- Set up furniture for special functions.
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Dust wall and horizontal surfaces.
- Extract carpets and strip and refinish floors.
- Distributes exam books.
- Shovel snow and remove ice from Building Entrances.
- Operate scooters for transporting personnel, trash, materials, etc.
- Work overtime as needed.
- Manually transport furniture.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Must be able to comprehend written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to operate manual and power janitorial equipment.
- Must have a valid Driver's License for driving University scooters.
- Stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- Lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday).
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday) and in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Push or pull using forces up to 10 pounds constantly (over 66% of the workday).
- Push or pull using forces up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling.
- Bend, push, or pull frequently (33-66% of the work day).
- Squat, knell, climb, reach overhead, or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the work day).
- Climb stairs, climb a 6 foot ladder, shovel snow, and work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Possess full range of body motions and physical agility.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Princeton University is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to our careers site.