Contracts Manager, Retail Real Estate and Dining Services
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Division of Operations, Business & Auxiliary Services (BAS) unit, manages a diverse portfolio of essential services that support the needs of the GWU community. The BAS unit supports the institution's overall strategic mission and enhances the student experience by providing convenient, user-friendly, competitively priced, customer-service focused goods and services, i.e., Transportation & Parking, GWorld Card Program, GW Mail & Package Services, Campus Dining Programs, GW Campus Store, Snack & Beverage Vending Services, Student Laundry, and Shipping & Summer Storage. The Contracts Manager for Retail Real Estate and Dining Services will provide oversight and management for campus retail leases and dining services. GW has an open dining plan and as such, provides students with a variety of choice and selection of over 110 dining partners that accept campus dining funds on the campus "GWorld" card throughout Foggy Bottom and Washington DC. Two dozen of the dining partners are tenants in university owned real estate. In addition, GW contracts with SAGE Dining Services to provide an all-you-care-to-eat dining program at the Mount Vernon Campus.
In this unique role, the Contracts Manager of Retail Real Estate and Dining Services, in collaboration with the DivOps Business Integration Unit, GWorld Services, and other GW stakeholders, will provide leadership and guidance on programming, GWorld partner recruitment, outreach and administration of dining operations. Manager will be responsible for oversight of the contract with SAGE including menu development, marketing and promotions, and budgeting. On the real estate side, Manager will be responsible for leasing, lease administration and tenant relationships and will work closely with colleagues in property management. The position reports to the Executive Director, Business & Auxiliary Services. The ideal candidate will have strong financial, technical and administrative skills combined with creativity and out of the box thinking. A focus on enhancing the student experience, continuous improvement, and the ability to communicate and collaborate across Divisions throughout the university are key success factors for this position. The successful candidate will possess a sense of humor, be comfortable with ambiguity, the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, and a strong collaborative spirit.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Manages existing campus retail leases and works to ensure vendors are in compliance with lease terms and university policies.
Manages on campus food services contract . Evaluates vendor performance and compliance with contract provisions ensuring both vendor and University are meeting contract terms/conditions as well as customer, department, and University expectations.
• Negotiates extensions/renewals to existing leases/contracts and submits for university review/approval/signature as appropriate, ensuring all necessary support documentation is provided including the development of deal analytics / financial pro-forma
• Solicits feedback from users/customers and other interested parties (via formal and informal surveys, student leadership meetings, etc.) regarding existing contracted services and dining program. Analyzes both quantitative and qualitative data and uses information to guide vendor actions/initiatives; as well as recommend, negotiate, and implement changes to contract terms/conditions as appropriate/necessary.
• Seeks opportunities for future initiatives, revenue development, and opportunities to enhance customer service. Reviews these opportunities applying sound financial management principles and practices and ensuring they fall within the desired direction and objectives/goals of the University. Provides management with financial analysis and arguments on such projects for its action/approval.
• Collects sales data/ financial statements from vendors on existing contracts. Analyzes the data, compiles/produces regular and ad hoc descriptive and financial reports for management justifying and/or providing explanations on variances from projections and/or on data as necessary/appropriate. Develops business reporting requirements and monitors compliance of contracts by reviewing activities with key departments and vendors /contractors, analyzing activities, assessing contract compliance and providing financial reporting on overall operations, including, but not limited to: revenue reports, operational audits and budget variance reporting.
• Develops and maintains operating procedures for area(s) of influence as necessary. Ensures that any change(s) to policy is/are disseminated to stakeholders.
• Oversees the process for RFPs and vendor selections at appropriate contract intervals. Hires and directs the activities of real estate brokers as appropriate.
• Engages in on-going dialog with vendors to ensure communication is always open to discuss/evaluate contracted service(s) and maintains good working relationships with vendors to help ensure that issues are addressed and resolved in a timely manner. Ensures stakeholders are kept abreast of any/all developments.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Experience with real estate leasing, lease administration, and managing service contracts with third-party service providers- with a preference on dining services contracts to include a minimum of two years in a senior capacity developing and administering operating procedures; actively managing contracts and contracts compliance, budget management and financial analytics. Experience working within higher education is desired but not required.
Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of students, staff, colleagues, as well as retail tenants and dining partners in a collegian environment is required.
Ability to exhibit excellent organizational skills managing multiple competing priorities within a fast paced and ever changing environment, often within tight deadlines.
Demonstrated success in solving problems, improving processes and using technology effectively to improve operations.
Direct hands-on experience and demonstrated success managing retail real estate leases and contracts desired.
Graduate level education in business administration or contract management is desirable but is not a substitute for direct hands-on experience and demonstrated success managing complex leases and contracts
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Operations Family Compliance Sub-Family Contract Management Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Yes Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? Posting Number: S007248 Job Open Date: 05/22/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter