Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The Department of Health Policy and Management at The George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health (GWSPH) is seeking a Biostatistician I to perform data management, document data analysis decisions, maintain data security, conduct statistical analyses, create reports and presentation materials for a variety of research studies being conducted. One of the main studies the statistician will work on is a 4 year NIH-funded prospective cohort study that will examine the influence of social determinants of health (SDH) on healthcare use and costs among Medicaid beneficiaries and will also determine whether changes in peoples’ social and living circumstances cause onset of disease. Approximately 10,000 subjects are being enrolled in the SDH study, with follow-up 6 and 12 months after enrollment. The statistician will also work on studies related to frequent emergency department use and the evaluation of interventions aimed at meeting the unmet medical and social needs of patients. There will be plenty of opportunities to be involved in manuscript writing, grant writing and presenting study results at conferences.
- Use R and SAS to develop, document and maintain analytic datasets.
- Work with senior statistician and principal investigator to develop statistical analysis plans for proposed analyses. For the NIH-funded study, we expect many statistical challenges that will require the person in this position to work closely with the senior statistician on the project to try different techniques and evaluate the best way to handle problems of missing data, correlated data, non-parametric data, and outliers.
- Carry out statistical analysis and document the results. Work with senior statistician and researchers to refine the analyses as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of abstracts, presentations and publications. If the statistician would like to take the lead on a manuscript, that would be highly desirable.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a MS or MPH in Statistics, Biostatistics, Epidemiology or in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- MS degree in Statistics, Biostatistics or Economics preferred.
- Excellent programming skills in SAS/STATA and, preferably, also in R.
- Strong foundation in statistical methods: a variety of statistical techniques will be used to conduct the analyses needed for these two projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with statistical techniques such as least squares and logistic regression, survival modeling, longitudinal data analysis, generalized regression models, bootstrapping and imputation methods.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Biostatistics Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9:00-5:00 Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000573 Job Open Date: 06/07/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter