Assistant Project Manager - Facilities
Job no: 494414
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Facilities Project Management
Salary: Salary commensurate w/ experience and grade range
Applications Open: Jun 07 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Under the general direction of the Capital Projects Program Manager, this position serves as an assistant to facilities project managers on large and major capital projects and serves as a project manager on minor campus renovation, refresh and infrastructure projects. They are responsible for efficiently managing all aspects of projects and assignments on time, within budget and aligned with campus strategies and initiatives.
- The Assistant Project Manager (APM) serves as the campus liaison on minor refresh and renovation projects as well as provides support to fellow project managers on large capital projects.
- This position is responsible for executing and providing support to other project managers as assigned, for all phases of the project life cycle: including scoping, estimating, study, design, budget management, procurement, construction administration, furniture, signage, move coordination, and closeout.
- This position has primary oversight for building code, accessibility and regulatory compliance of all projects assigned.
- This position is responsible to review architectural/engineering program elements and serve as the University's advisor to ensure that project development, feasibility assessment, design, and construction.
- The Assistant Project Manager works directly with a highly diverse cross functional team of campus executives and managers, deans and department heads, internal business experts and business analysts as well as representatives from state and local agencies to coordinate project components and construction impacts with the campus community.
- This position provides frequent field inspections at all aspects of the job site to monitor job progress, reinforce construction quality and ensure compliance with state, local and campus requirements.
- Use expert communication and leadership skills to establish a common understanding of project expectations by all members of the project team (both internal and external) including but not limited to: timelines, milestones, campus initiatives and design standards.
- Assist with the execution and administration of all design and construction contracts on assigned projects to ensure compliance with State procurement regulations.
- Coordinate contracted services and construction activities for maximum effectiveness and minimal disruption to the campus and surrounding neighborhoods.
- Promote the University's commitment to customer service by building harmonious partnerships with University colleagues and state and local officials; freely sharing appropriate information; providing prompt assistance and/or response to all requests and maintaining an environment that is respectful of our diverse campus community.
- Work with the highest level of integrity and work ethic. Emphasizes quality in all work. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Manage project resources, monitor key project deliverables, and intelligently identify issues requiring escalation.
- Assist with the implementation of FFE strategy for assigned projects to insure installation of signage, furniture, locks/keys, etc prior to occupancy.
- Assist in the development of department policies/ procedures and campus design standards for operational continuity between projects.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or relevant discipline is required
- Minimum one (1) year of responsible and practical experience in design, architecture, engineering and/or construction project management
- Ability to successfully complete assigned MCPPO (Massachusetts Procurement Training) with demonstrated understanding of C149, C149A, and C3039M regulations within 1 year of assignment
- Ability to successfully complete OSHA10 certification within 6 months of hire
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited oversight and within tight deadlines
- Demonstrated excellence in oral, written, and graphic communication
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement imaginative solutions to complex problems.
- Demonstrated experience in word processing, spreadsheets and database management systems.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining productive relationships with a full range of campus and external constituents including state and local agencies that reflects a strong commitment to customer service.
- Minimum one (1) year project management experience, including working effectively with client and multi-disciplinary teams
- Knowledge of construction practices, project budget development, scheduling, tracking and control
- Ability to read, interpret and/or prepare CADD drawings and specifications
- Ability to prepare accurate cost estimates and budgets with reasonable speed
- Experience managing renovation projects
- Construction industry and/or project management related certifications or registrations such as Registered Architect, Professional Engineer, Construction Supervisor, LEED, BIM, BOCE
- Professional Master's degree and/or complementary professional degree in architecture, design, engineering, construction, planning, landscape or related discipline helpful
- Consistent execution of and compliance with department procedures
- Demonstration of continuing professional development initiatives
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.