The Financial Literacy Sr. Advisor, under the direction of the Director of Strategic Initiatives, provides a broad range of activities that support students’ success and financial literacy attainment. The Financial Literacy Sr. Advisor develops, implements and evaluates a University-wide financial literacy program while ensuring compliance with University policy, federal regulations, the Fair Debt Collection Act, and FERPA.
Develops and implements strategies to support and foster financial literacy to students, staff, and faculty. Develops partnerships with campus staff and student finance team to promote financial literacy initiatives/programs and provides training workshops.
Researches student financial resources and literacy issues; develops curriculum and delivers the University's financial literacy education content, products and services; assesses the financial literacy partners, products and services in order to provide credible personal money management education to post-secondary students, administrators, staff and faculty and other audiences as required.
Works with faculty, student services staff, and other members of the University community to identify populations of students who are most at risk of not completing their educational goals (e.g. students who do not meet standards of progress) and designs and provides financial literacy activities to improve student retention.
Provides curriculum and resources for faculty to encourage the inclusion of financial literacy strategies into instructional delivery methods.
In collaboration with the Pell Grant and Loan Sr. Advisor develops communication and information strategies on the Financial Literacy Program for students, faculty, staff and the community.
Ensures compliance with Title III and US Department of Education policies and grant guidelines.
Prepares progress reports to document project activities. In collaboration with the Pell Grant and Loan Sr. Advisor, tracks and measures student outcomes (e.g. assessment of financial literacy learning).
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office environment. Extended periods of time sitting at a computer and performing keyboarding functions is required.
Physical exertion is not a normal requirement of this classification.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Knowledge of financial literacy and counseling issues; and budgeting/debt reduction, problem-solving and intervention strategies.
• Knowledge and understanding of applicable federal rules and regulations.
• Skill in utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
• Skill in interpreting and effectively communicating rules and regulations to a diverse audience, both in one-on-one sessions and group presentations.
• Skill in developing and presenting credible money management education to a diverse audience.
• Skill in communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
• Ability to work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community-university students and staff.
• Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work in an environment with regular interruptions.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
• Ability to evaluate and implement Department of Education recommendations and regulations.
• Bachelor's degree (preferably in Business, Finance, Education, Social Sciences or related field).
• Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
• Demonstrate experience developing and implementing financial education and instruction for post-secondary students is required.
• Prefer experience in Financial Aid, Student Accounts/Bursar, Higher Education, or private sector Student Financial Services.
• Prefer understanding of student finance, financial aid, student indebtedness.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100039458
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>