Student Success Coach
This is the most exciting time to be working at Los Angeles Pacific University, part of the Azusa Pacific University system! With our team of dedicated professionals and faculty, we are creating a new hope for the future by investing in lives through learning pathways that are Christ-centered, flexible and accessible.
If you want to join a dynamic, God-first culture that strives to provide quality academic programs to countless students, we welcome you to apply.
Be a part of this powerful campus of an already-prestigious university that offers flexibility and innovative delivery of education to learners everywhere.
If you have a passion for service, education and innovation, we’re interested in talking to you!
We offer a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including: 30 days Paid Time Off, med/dental/vision plans, life/LTD/ADD insurance, retirement and tuition assistance.
This position provides support services to the diverse student body of Los Angeles Pacific University. Primary areas of focus include academic advising, basic financial aid guidance, strengths development, spiritual formation, and general support services for students.
Required Experience / Education
- Christian Commitment: Vital Christian faith and lifestyle
- Supportive of the evangelical mission and purpose of LAPU and the Azusa Pacific University System
- Associate’s degree
- Telecommunication or customer service experience in a support or customer service environment.
Desired Experience / Education
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years of experience in student services within a higher education or adult education environment.
- A demonstrated track record of providing student services in an education environment. Mentoring and coaching experience preferred.
- Knowledge of nontraditional higher education.
- Provide one-on-one support for students in the areas of spiritual formation, strengths development, academic advising, basic financial aid advising, career counseling, student involvement and online academic engagement, while fostering student development through clarification of academic, professional, and personal goals using strategies that contribute to successful academic completion.
- Serve as an individual support to students; monitor the progress of students and provide the encouragement and support necessary to enable students to complete their course of study, interceding with at-risk students to reduce attrition through referrals to internal and external programs for additional support services and follow-up as needed.
- Articulate the requirements of the degree requirements while working with students to develop an individualized plan to reach their academic goals.
- Direct students to utilize their strengths and available educational resources to encourage greater levels of personal responsibility for their learning.
- Encourage students through life events, obstacles and challenges through moral support and prayer.
- Coordinate efforts and work with the various student services departments and staff as needed to stay current with policy and procedures as well as to identify and recommend appropriate services designed to address the needs of online students
- Compile data as directed on program services, activities, and students. Maintain accurate, organized, and detailed student records and develop and maintain reports as required or assigned for retention purposes and evaluating students to make sure the program objectives are met.
- Interpret, apply and abide by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and parental confidentiality issues.
- Carrying out other duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor(s).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively, professionally, and tactfully interact with others.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizational units and with a diverse faculty/staff team and student body on issues specifically related to student engagement and non-traditional learning.
- Knowledge of nontraditional education course delivery models and success strategies.
- Strong command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong overall organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to plan and manage multiple projects concurrently, while maintaining an orderly work environment.
- Willingness to work flexible additional hours to accommodate institutional needs.
- Ability to work effectively in a changing service environment that is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Ability to formulate, interpret, adapt, and apply policies and regulations in a complex university setting.
- Ability to maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and appropriate software applications within online education.
- Ability to type accurate notes while talking on the telephone or immediately following the call.
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a team-based, fast-paced atmosphere
- Ability to be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, and work with little supervision
- Ability to help students grow in their spiritual development through conversations and prayer.
- Must maintain a positive, cooperative, Christ-like attitude supportive of the University and its mission.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to investigate, analyze information, and draw conclusions
- Ability to engage in critical thinking, exercise independent judgment, set priorities, and solve problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
This position typically includes the following physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time
- Sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment
- Visual acuity to read words and numbers
- Speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate in person or over the telephone
- Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds
- Word processing and spreadsheet applications (i.e. Google docs, MS Excel)
- E-mail applications (i.e. gmail)
- Course Management System—Moodle
- Jenzabar – Student Records, Student Financials, Student Accounts
- Presentation software—(i.e., MS PowerPoint)
Grade 6: $16.11/hour - $20.13/hour
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Los Angeles Pacific University reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the University may deem appropriate.
Los Angeles Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.