Director of Fiscal Services
Plan, organize, coordinate, and direct the fiscal operations of the District; to advise and work collaboratively with the Vice President of Administrative Services on the annual budget preparation; to provide periodic fiscal reports and analysis that impact stakeholders; to participates in maintenance of a system of accounting records; to advise on fiscal matters that impact the District, and to maintain a comprehensive set of controls designed to enhance the accuracy of the institution's reported financial results.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives administrative direction from the Vice President of Administrative Services. Incumbents work within a framework of broadly defined missions of the District.
Incumbents in this classification assign, coordinate, supervise and evaluate the work of others
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform the functions of controller of all funds of the district; supervise maintenance of complete records of receipts, expenditures, balances on hand, encumbrances for each budget classification, sources and estimates of revenue, payroll obligation, and other items as required.
- Hire, train, evaluate, coordinate professional development of manager(s) and staff members.
- Monitor budgeting, accounting, and business services functions of the organization for financial effectiveness and operational efficiency.
- Supervise the preparation of financial statements, the maintenance of financial control records and the conduct of internal audits.
- Assist with preparation of the annual District budget including projection of income and expenditures and preparation and filing of official budget documents.
- Provide technical information and assistance to the Vice President of Administrative Services regarding the general ledger, reporting, or complex accounting and budget transactions. Collaborate with other managers in the development and implementation of plans, strategies, goals, and objectives of the District.
- Advocate for policies, procedures and programs relating to fiscal reporting, reporting, and management approval by the Vice President of Administrative Services. Implement policies, procedures and programs related to fiscal reporting and management.
- Review all state and federal programs, and prepares and signs claims for the collection of funds from state, federal and other agencies as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with District policy and procedure and applicable laws and regulations. Monitors compliance with restricted funding sources.
- Monitor reserve levels in Self Insurance Fund and Self-supporting auxiliary operations.
- Assist in the creation and presentation of financial status reports, annual budget analysis and ad hoc advice to the Board of Trustees, committees and various stakeholder groups.
- Serve as subject matter expert of the District's financial reporting system. Assesses efficiency and effectiveness of the system and recommends program changes for improved reporting and transaction recording.
- Advise the Vice President of Administrative Services and other administrators on financial implications of current and projected contractual obligations.
- Provide oversight of annual external audit of District funds, including assurance of appropriate internal controls and assist in District's audit response.
- Perform other related functions as assigned.
- Generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards and principles and practices of governmental accounting, budget and finance, particularly as they relate to a California Community College district
- Advanced theory and application of budgetary planning, and control in a college system
- Multi-year budget and planning
- Resource allocation
- General accounting and budgeting theory and practices
- Laws, rules, codes, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to California Community College district
- Asset protection and tracking, strategies, and techniques
- Business operation and activities
- Community College State apportionment policies and procedures
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training
- Make recommendations on a broad range of fiscal issues including but not limited to budgets, accounting, policies, and procedures
- Coordinate and direct personnel, resources, communications, and information to meet District needs and assure smooth and efficient activities
- Interpret, explain, and apply laws, rules and regulations
- Work cooperatively with management team to ensure the efficient and smooth operations of the Business Services unit
- Provide technical direction and expertise in the development and preparation District budgets
- Communication effectively both orally and in writing
- Meet deadlines and schedules
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of a variety of narrative, financial and statistical reports, records and files related to assigned activities
- Work independently with little direction
- Plan and organize work; delegate work as necessary; handle multiple projects
- Work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Support the District in achieving its mission, vision, and strategic goals as appropriate in carrying out the duties of this position.
- Focus on student success, service excellence, and willingness to assist colleagues as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, public administration or related field from an accredited college and an active CPA license OR a Master's degree in accounting, public administration or related field from an accredited college or university, and;
- Five (5) years of relevant accounting or public administration experience, including three (3) years of management experience.
Copies of transcripts are required with application.
The first review of applications is on August 31, 2017.
This position is open until filled.