Assistant Professor/Associate Professor of Data Science/Data Analytics/Decision Science/Cloud Comput
Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for the position Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Data Science/Data Analytics/Decision Science. Candidates must be able to teach advanced level and lower division classes in the data science field, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In addition, successful candidates for this position are expected to engage in outstanding applied research and scholarly activities in topics relating to data science and analytics and/or cloud computing, seek external funding, teach graduate and undergraduate courses, mentor and advise students, supervise student research in related areas, and perform service for the University.
- For the Assistant Professor rank, there must be strong evidence of professional accomplishment in Data Science/Analytics/Cloud Computing together with either proven success in securing external funding or exceptional promise in doing so.
- Candidates for the Associate Professor rank must have an established record of research leadership in Data Science/Analytics/Cloud Computing, and a track-record of continual success in securing external funding as PI.
- Candidates must have earned a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, Data Science, Analytics, Cloud Computing or a closely related field. Individuals must show evidence that their education and research is strongly tied to Data science and Analytics. Candidates must have used or be comfortable with using analytics tools including: R, SAS, Python, and Tableau. Candidates with prior corporate/industry experience is considered a plus.
Demonstrated excellence in applied research in Data Science/Analytics/Cloud Computing or closely related fields; track record of funded or highly fundable grant proposals; exemplary track record in teaching; ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects; evidence of inclusion of students in research; evidence of fruitful collaboration with researchers and practitioners in related fields; ability to cultivate and maintain collegial working relationships; experience in multicultural and diverse settings.
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
- Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
- Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format:
- Letter of Application
- Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
- Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript