Assistant Director, Enterprise Accounting
Job ID: 24580
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Accounting Services
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Accounting Services Director, the Assistant Director of Enterprise Accounting is responsible for assuring accurate, efficient and compliant financial activities are transacted between SJSU and its auxiliaries, and for assuring auxiliary financial data is properly recorded in the University's consolidated financial statements. In addition, the Assistant Director provides financial and accounting services to self-supporting units and activities, especially those with complex financial arrangements such as the Hammer Theatre. As such, the Assistant Director is an expert in accounting for non-profit enterprises, and is versed in supporting executive management and boards of directors. The Assistant Director also converses easily with bankers, payroll servicers, and external auditors, effectively planning and managing all financial arrangements for the units and activities served. San Jos State has five major auxiliary enterprises: Associated Students, Student Union, Spartan Shops, Research Foundation, and Tower Foundation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees general accounting functions including fund accounting, bank reconciliation, investments, financial aid accounting, accounts receivable maintenance and billing/chargebacks.
- Manages month-end and year-end closing and reporting processes.
- Ensures unit/department/division /college operates as a team.
- Coordinates internal and external comprehensive financial and management reporting for auxiliary and self-supporting enterprises, consistent with standard accounting practices and policies; supports external financial audits of the auxiliaries.
- Directs use of all PeopleSoft accounting modules across multiple business units.
- Coordinates upgrades and system development from functional manager perspective.
- Maximizes productivity through use of appropriate tools; develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Develops campus policies and procedures to ensure the quality of campus financial data and facilitate reporting.
- Manages and direct staff to ensure operational effectiveness.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university with a degree related to Finance, Accounting or relevant field
- Minimum of five years of full-time progressively responsible work experience in non-profit accounting and external financial reporting functions, with at least two years in a managerial role
- Experience working with an accounting Enterprise Reporting System (ERP), including General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Billing modules.
- Recent work experience in higher education
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls and non-profit financial reporting requirements (GASB).
- Thorough knowledge and skill related to general accounting functions including bank reconciliation, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and billing/chargebacks.
- Thorough knowledge of non-profit tax accounting and reporting requirements, and required employer deposits.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting Enterprise Reporting Systems and methods used to extract data.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures, and analyze situations accurately to adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to effectively manage and evaluate the work of staff; assign duties and responsibilities; oversee work assignments to ensure work is done accurately and timely; and provide personnel development.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, prepare clear and concise reports, and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in a mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to lead meetings in an organized fashion.
- Ability to maintain personal composure in high stress situations as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to empower and motivate employees to continuously improve performance.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to make complex financial policies accessible to a lay audience.
May 25, 2018
Application Screening begins June 11, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046