Visiting Educational Technology Specialist - Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Scie
Visiting Educational Technology Specialist
Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Sciences (ATLAS)
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Visiting Educational Technology Specialist will help faculty design, update, and deliver educational material and courses for online and blended instruction. Working within the ATLAS Teaching and Learning with Technology team, they will also be responsible for managing the Learn@Illinois Moodle Learning Management Service (LMS) and for providing support to faculty for Moodle as well as other innovative educational technologies. Furthermore, they will work collaboratively with faculty and staff to coordinate and develop high quality online and blended courses using educational technologies and instructional design strategies that foster student curiosity, engagement, and overall successful learning outcomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consult with faculty and teaching assistants on the effective uses of technology that can support their educational goals.
- Assist in formulating, communicating and implementing LAS Online standards, policies and guidelines.
- Design online learning modules, integrating a variety of instructional tools, including HTML pages, graphics, as well as multimedia.
- Create and deliver help documents, tutorials, presentations, as well as workshops for instructors.
- Cooperate with colleagues in other units such as DRES and CITL to ensure instructional materials comply with copyright and accessibility standards.
- Provide timely support and troubleshooting in response to academic technology issues as well as serve as the point of escalation for major issues for faculty, staff and students.
- Coordinate LMS and other educational technology upgrades.
- Perform testing to ensure new LMS features and 3rd-party integrations work as expected.
- Help ensure service's performance and security meet user needs and requirements.
- Create and help coordinate service-related communications with users.
- Assist with the customization, delivery, and upgrades of the LMS including third-party application integration.
- Cooperate with colleagues in LAS and ATLAS to enact the missions of the units as needed.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working with faculty in a higher education setting
- Good understanding of pedagogy and learning theories/instructional design models, particularly in online settings
- Experience working within an LMS as an instructor or a student
- Demonstrated experience in creating and delivering training
- Knowledge of accessibility standards, compliance, and copyright laws
- Strong analytical, organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrated ability to providing excellent customer service
- Proven ability to identify and meet project design requirements as well as milestones
- Ability to work both independently and within a diverse team
- Strong communication skills, including client presentation skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive data
- Candidate needs to be available to work some weekends, early mornings, and evenings
- Advanced degree (completed or in progress)
- Experience with developing online/blended course materials as a subject matter expert (SME) or assistant
- Advanced knowledge of an LMS
- Project management experience
- Advanced knowledge of online learning theories and pedagogy
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing technologies
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, visiting academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Position may become regular at a later date.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by June 7, 2018. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Ann O'Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Educational Technology Specialist - Applied Technologies for Learning in the Arts and Sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (A1800320)
Open Date: 05/24/2018
Organization Name: Appl Technol Learning A and S