Help Desk Services Manager - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1800311)
Help Desk Services Manager
Engineering IT Shared Services
College of Engineering
University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for a Help Desk Services Manager. Engineering IT is the primary information technology services provider for Engineering at Illinois, serving the IT needs of more than 1,100 faculty and staff and over 10,000 students. The mission is to ensure that all faculty, students and staff in the College have easy and well-supported access to IT services that are second to none in support of their teaching, research, and learning. Engineering IT prides itself on a user-centric approach to IT, with emphasis on effectiveness, visibility and accountability. The organization has a strong commitment to career and professional development with a dedicated training budget, defined promotion tracks and performance-based raises for full time positions. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team. More information about Engineering IT can be found at http://it.engineering.illinois.edu/about-us/.
The Help Desk Services Manager position reports to the Director, Engineering IT Shared Services, and oversees the operations of the Helpdesk within the User Services division of Engineering IT Shared Services. This team serves primarily graduate and undergraduate students throughout the College of Engineering and is responsible for: Assisting students in using instructional technology resources in classrooms and labs; desktop support for graduate research and teaching assistants; coordinating and routing IT incidents. The Manager also serves as an advisor to the Associate Director for User Services on tactical and strategic issues that may affect the team or the division. This position may be assigned as a Customer Relationship Manager to various College units or constituent groups.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Advise the Director of Engineering IT on tactical and strategic issues
- Supervise a mix of full time hourly or AP staff assigned to subdivision / team(s)
- Manage services assigned to subdivision / team(s), including the annual budget and expenditures (i.e. equipment check-out program and student employee costs)
- Propose and maintain standards, policies, and procedures covering the work of the subdivision / team
- Oversee the hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluation of 50+ Engineering IT Student Consultant (ESC) staff
- Coordinate with other divisions and teams within Engineering IT to ensure their student staffing needs are met
- Lead and participate in projects with other professional staff and student employees to enact service changes, new technologies, etc.
- Write both internal and external user documentation
- Act as a liaison to assigned College units in the role of Customer Relationship Manager to pro-actively develop and maintain good working relationships between those units and Engineering IT
- Work with Engineering IT divisions to capture and analyze customer information to assist the organization with new service and technology initiatives to meet customer needs and expectations
- Coordinate with Technology Services and other campus IT organizations on shared service offerings
- Respond to incidents that occur outside of regular business hours
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- Six (6) years' professional experience in IT operations which must include (years' experience may run concurrently):
- Three (3) years' experience with end-user support or helpdesk operations
- Three (3) years' experience working with customers
- One (1) year experience hiring, training, and managing students or staff
- Experience in participating in diverse workgroups
- ?Two (2) or more years' experience hiring, training, and managing students or staff
- Familiarity with Instructional labs and / or help desk operations in Higher Education
- Demonstrated experience and/or training in customer relationships management work
- Ability to think critically and propose service and structural changes to improve performance within and between teams
- Knowledge of and ability to use project management skills
- Familiarity with the technical requirements of compliance with FERPA
The Help Desk Services Manager position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The minimum salary is $65,972, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by June 5, 2018. Interviews and hires may take place prior to the closing date; however, full consideration will be given to complete applications received by that date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Sarah Musselman at email@example.com or 217-244-1056.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Help Desk Services Manager - College of Engineering IT Shared Services (A1800311)
Open Date: 05/22/2018
Close Date: 06/05/2018
Organization Name: Engineering Administration