Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
At Milken Institute School of Public Health (GWSPH) we advance the health of populations in our local, national, and global communities by providing the best public health educational experience to foster the next generation of public health leaders. The GWSPH Office of Development and Alumni Relations (GWSPH DAR) seeks an Assistant Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations to grow and enhance GWSPH alumni and donor affinity and engagement with the school. The successful candidate will be motivated, collaborative, and adaptable and work well in a small, fast-paced team environment.
The Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement serves a critical role in developing and managing both GWSPH's annual giving strategy to increase donors and identify major donor prospects, as well as the school's alumni engagement strategy to further build and strengthen relationships with GWSPH alumni. Reporting to the Executive Director of Development and Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director represents the front lines of the GWSPH annual giving and alumni relations programs. The Assistant Director will focus their time working with strategic segments of the GWSPH alumni population as defined by the Executive Director. Occasional travel may be required to meet with alumni and attend events.
• Design and execute annual fund solicitations and events including but not limited to the GWSPH annual fund, Power & Promise Fund, and "I Heart GW Public Health" campaign, in collaboration with GW Office of Annual Giving and GWSPH DAR colleagues. This may include writing appeal letters, designing digital and social media materials, tracking results, and managing volunteer engagement.
• Assist in the development of programs and events to highlight GWSPH dean, faculty, and departments, and to engage GWSPH alumni and donors. Utilize existing opportunities to enhance and deepen alumni and donor engagement. Develop and execute engagement plans for strategically important segments as identified by the Executive Director. Present new ideas and strategies to Executive Director for approval.
• Recruit, train, manage, and steward alumni volunteers in the execution of alumni programs and events as appropriate. In coordination and collaboration with the GWSPH development and alumni relations team, as well as partners in the school's admissions, academic programs, and career services offices, and the university's central development and alumni relations team, engages alumni at programs and events for prospect identification and identifies current prospects to participate in available alumni volunteer roles.
• Responsible for analyzing and reporting of benchmarking and metrics of program and events that represent activity coordinated by the GWSPH Development and Alumni Relations team.
• Attend events as needed to foster greater donor awareness and participation within the GWSPH community. Use events to build relationships with attendees and understand their interests to further their involvement.
• Perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree.
• A sense of humor.
• Experience preferably in an institution of higher learning or public health.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising including personal solicitation and mail campaigns.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new software.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Milken Institute School of Public Health (SPH) Family Dev & Alumni Relations Sub-Family Alumni Relations Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Weekdays (M-F), Weekends, Evenings Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007251 Job Open Date: 05/22/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter