Network Infrastructure Engineer Senior (Security)
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their home. When you join our talented team, you'll play a special role. We'll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
The Sr. Network Infrastructure Engineer-Security will be responsible for providing high-quality, reliable, flexible, and appropriate infrastructure networking technology solutions and implementation support for Houston Community College. Under the direction of the Director, the Sr. Network Infrastructure Engineer-Security will work closely with other network team analysts and engineers to lead and support large scale infrastructure engineering projects, network and perimeter upgrades, traffic engineering, cloud computing/data center networking infrastructure, and issue escalation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead the technical implementation and engineering of highly appropriate, tightly integrated, consistently available, secure, flexible, and fault-tolerant network systems (including but not limited to Cisco routers, switches, load balancers, ASA firewalls, wireless LAN controllers, and other core infrastructure systems);
- In conjunction with the Sr. Network Architect, develop engineering project scopes and technical implementation plans based upon designated network architecture plans and Cisco/vendor validated design guides;
- Provide engineering and implementation support for application networking and data center networking technology, including Cisco ACE load balancers & Global Site Selectors, Cisco UCS fabric interconnects, Cisco ASA firewalls, and data center switching & routing (Catalyst & Nexus);
- Provide engineering and implementation support for district wide campus routing and switching environment, including internal and external route engineering (BGP, EIGRP), WAN engineering/optimization, wireless infrastructure, perimeter firewalls/access control, network monitoring, and core/distribution/access layers;
- Assist with the development of network infrastructure (switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, wlc's) configuration and change management standards;
- Design, implement, and test information technology security mechanisms and systems in the context of the netRworking infrastructure;
- Identifying, testing, development, and implementation of new district wide technologies to support the IT and HCC strategic plans;
- Preventing and coordinating responses to network related security incidents;
- Monitoring the development of new standards with TCP/IP and other networking technologies with particular attention to the impact on the HCC networking environment;
- Acting as a consultant to other departments regarding network implementation and support (meetings, design assistance, support, working with F&E on projects); and
- Completing projects and tasks independently and with limited direct supervision.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field required. Formal certification in Layer 3 networking technologies (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc.) is preferred.
Five (5) years directly related work experience, plus an industry recognized networking certification (CCNP, CCIE), may be considered in lieu ofdegree requirement.
Five (5) years hands-on design, engineering, administration, and implementation of comprehensive Cisco-based network systems and architectures in a largeenterprise or academic environment are required. Of the five (5) years required, at least two (2) years' of experience with routing/switching protocols (EIGRP, BGP, STP, 802.11) and equipment (switches, routers, wlc's) plus two (2) years' experience with stateful firewalls, load balancers, intrusion detection systems, and packetshapers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong communications skills, including g excellent spoken an d written English are required;
- Must be able to explain difficult abstract concepts verbally, in writing (email, proposals, documentation), and though more formal presentations;
- Expert knowledge of unicast routing technologies (BGP, EIGRP), switching infrastructure, perimeter security appliances (firewalls, IPS/IDS, packetshapers), load balancers (L3-L7), and wireless infrastructure;
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Cisco IOS, IOS-XR, NX-OS, ASA-OS, and related network hardware operating systems;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the technical and functional aspects of implementing and operating VoIP/Unified Communications systems is required;
- Ability to work collaboratively, cooperatively, and closely with both technically adept and senior management is required;
- Ability to perform duties and responsibilities even when under tremendous pressure is required;
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients and other staff on all levels - in small groups, one on one with supervisors, staff colleagues, representatives from external organizations, and vendors is required;
- Project management experience is preferred;
- Ability to drive/walk to other HCC buildings/campuses as required;
- Ability to lift and carry small equipment as required;
- Ability to appropriately handle stressful situations, critical deadlines, and a customer base with both high service level expectations and technical sophistication;
- May be required to work nights and weekends during (un)planned outages and other special circumstances;
- Will be required to carry a cell phone with text messaging capabilities; and
- Will need to respond to incident escalation.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or Institutional.Equity@hccs.edu
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.