Assistant Director of Diversity and Campus Engagement
Transylvania University seeks an individual to support student success and advance Transylvania University in the areas of inclusion and campus programming. The position will shape the work, programs, and goals to assist in achieving the vision of Project One, Transylvania’s signature inclusion initiative. In addition to diversity and inclusion programming, this position will serve as the primary advisor to the Student Activities Board and will supervise VISTA Education Outreach staff members. The Assistant Director will further advance student leadership and the multicultural competence of students, faculty, and staff at Transylvania University. The Assistance Director is responsible for maintaining ongoing support, and advisement, to students in order to garner the highest level of positive community impact for campus and beyond.
- Mentoring and advising for registered student organization;
- Serving as a role model to multicultural student organizations in partnership with faculty and administration;
- Implementing programs that develop awareness of others cultures, beliefs, and practices which contribute to positive communication on issues of gender, race, religion, gender identity and expression, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, etc.;
- Developing and engaging students in activities that develop cultural competence and essential skills for navigating the campus as well as the professional world;
- Cultivating professional relationships with faculty and staff in order to develop and implement diversity programs and educational opportunities for students;
- Participating in after-hours weekly “on-call” duty rotation with Student Life staff.
The position requires a master’s degree in a related field and one year of related experience. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in a college or university setting and those with experience working with diverse groups, handling conflict management and mediation, and planning and implementing programs. Please apply by June 5, 2018; however, resumes will be accepted until interviews begin. Submit resume and cover letter online by following the staff job openings link at www.transy.edu/jobs. Please write your cover letter to the attention of Jeff Mudrak, Director of Human Resources. Transylvania University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of the university community. In support of this goal, we seek qualified candidates with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We embrace diversity and encourage all who are interested to apply.