Vice Chancellor for Advancement
University of Colorado Denver
Office of Advancement
Vice Chancellor for Advancement
Position #1269 - Requisition 13013
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Advancement has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Vice Chancellor for Advancement position.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public urban research university serving over 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly-rated undergraduate and graduate degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
CU Denver provides a dynamic urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to bioengineering, music industry studies and criminal justice. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. We are the most ethnically diverse research university in Colorado with 44% of our undergraduates from underrepresented groups, and 50% of our first-time freshman are the first in their family to attend college. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
The Office of Advancement:
The CU Denver Office of Advancement helps move CU forward by matching donor passions with campus priorities. Charged with raising significant external funds each year to support student scholarships, educational programs and research initiatives, we forge relationships and foster connections among CU's faculty, staff, students, alumni and community to advance CU Denver's mission as one of the region's top assets. The advancement team is a hardworking and energetic team of fundraising, donor relations, alumni relations and administrative professionals, who are positive, collaborative and benefactor-focused. CU Denver launched a three-year, $15,000,000 scholarship campaign in early 2018, which will dovetail into a planned system-wide comprehensive campaign later in 2018.
CU Denver seeks a creative and accomplished executive with a track record of success as an advancement leader and fundraiser, preferably in a setting similar to CU Denver's. The new Vice Chancellor will guide the strategic vision for the Office of Advancement by collaborating across schools and colleges, departments and with donors and other external partners to achieve robust fundraising goals. This position has overall responsibility for planning, fiscal management, and administration of the unit, which includes an office of 22 development and alumni relations professionals and support staff and a $2.3 million budget.
The Vice Chancellor for Advancement reports to the Chancellor and is a member of the Chancellor's Cabinet. Working with campus colleges and schools, the President's Office and the University of Colorado Foundation, the position will foster long-lasting, significant, and productive relationships with external foundations, the business community, alumni and friends of the University who have the potential to contribute substantially. In partnership with the academic deans and other campus leaders, the Vice Chancellor is expected to build on recent successes to significantly enhance all aspects of our development and alumni relations programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advance the mission, vision, and short- and long-term goals of the campus in strategic partnership with the Chancellor, the Chancellor's Cabinet, and academic deans and other campus leaders.
- Serve as a member of the Chancellor's Cabinet, developing and maintaining close working relationships with the Chancellor's Development Committee, CU Foundation leaders and volunteers, and key alumni/parents/friends.
- Oversee the development of annual plans, budgets, and performance metrics for Alumni and Parent Relations, Annual Fund, Gift Planning, Comprehensive Campaigns, Major and Principal Gifts, Grants Development, Stewardship and Advancement Services.
- Engage faculty and staff in an effort to broaden the culture of philanthropy.
- Maintain a small dynamic portfolio of principal gift donors and prospects. A major focus will be training, mentoring and coaching the development team in securing gifts.
- Contribute to strategic discussions and develop programs to strengthen the financial resources of the University.
- Ensure dynamic and effective processes in all phases of donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Prepare for future fundraising campaigns through comprehensive and effective campaign planning and execution.
- Hire, train, inspire and guide direct reports and the entire advancement team toward accountable, goal-oriented outcomes.
- Serve as an exemplary university representative and advocate in the community, cultivating relationships with local leaders, and creating and stewarding partnerships and relationships that closely link the community with CU Denver.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- A minimum of 5 years of senior-level leadership in professional fundraising, non-profit, relational sales, business development, or public relations
- Experience with creating philanthropic narratives which inspire major gifts.
- Demonstrated capabilities in relationship management
- Integrated team management experience, to include diverse stakeholders.
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel (including internationally) when required.
- A master's degree from an accredited university
- Experience in a public urban research university.
- A track record of fundraising success in a university advancement environment
- Experience in developing and growing alumni relations programs and services
- A breadth of experience within complex organizations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, positive working relationships with internal and external constituents
- Ability to establish and communicate priorities in an executive setting
- Ability to work in a complex, matrixed environment
- Servant leadership will be a key attribute to this position's success
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to think creatively and manage competing priorities
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a self-starter with sound judgment
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- Expert knowledge of targeted fundraising techniques, including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately both orally and in writing
- Solid knowledge of and interest in current issues facing public universities
- Familiarity with advancement talent development strategies and ability to identify new strategies for implementation within the Office of Advancement
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Marci Grant at Marci.Grant@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by April 12, 2018. Those who do not apply by April 12th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30228 - ADM-CHAN Foundation Denver
Posting Date: Mar 22, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Marci Grant
Posting Contact Email: Marci.Grant@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00001269