Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Pulmonary
Professional Research Assistant
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant (PRA). This full-time position will assist in the investigation of the mechanisms involved in acute and chronic lung injuries seen after several different inhaled toxic chemicals. The position will involve translational research, studying the effects of toxic inhaled chemicals, focusing on early drug development studies of potential rescue therapies in small animal models, and investigating mechanisms of lung and other organ injuries after inhalation exposure.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performing assays, including but not limited to immunohistochemistry, ELISA, and Western blot
- Small animal work (rodent) related to research, including handling, restraint, dosing, necropsy, and sample collection
- Utilization of core microscopy (upright, bright field and fluorescence microscopes)
- Maintenance of primary cell cultures and utilization of various cell culture techniques
- Operation of complex inhalation exposure equipment
- Data entry and analysis
- Assisting in general lab maintenance, to include but not limited to lab organization, cleaning, and maintaining lab certification
- Organizing and maintaining laboratory sample storage and databases
- Collaborating with researchers at other institutions
- Traveling to other institutions to conduct large-scale, specialized experiments several times per year (approximately 8 days per month with some variability)
- Co-authoring manuscripts and poster presentations at national conferences as requested
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills, equity, and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- BS in Biology or related scientific field
- Minimum of three (3) years of bench and animal research experience
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing and able to travel to other institutions to conduct experiments (travel requirement is variable, but may be an average of 8 days per month)
- Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule including, evenings, nights, weekends, occasional holidays, and extended work hours
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check and additional FBI background check
- Must successfully pass a 10-panel drug test through School of Medicine
(1) Export Controls: Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
(2) Drug Testing: The selected candidate will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen. For this safety-sensitive position, the selected candidate may also be subject to reasonable suspicion and regularly scheduled (i.e. biannual or quarterly) drug screenings.
(3) Background Checks: The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Supportive and conscientious work ethic
- Ability to follow laboratory Standard Operating Protocols
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Knowledge and ability to apply Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) regulations
- Experience with statistical analysis software (such as GraphPad)
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Experience in cell culture techniques, including maintaining primary cell cultures
- Experience preferred in molecular technologies, including PCR amplification, RNA and CDNA synthesis, RT PCR
- Experience with whole small animal handling (rodents), husbandry and restraint, as well as minor survival surgeries to include intratracheal, intravascular, intraperitoneal, subcutaneous, and intramuscular drug administration and sample collection, as well as necropsy
- Experience with histopathology techniques, including tissue embedding and sectioning, slide preparation and tissue analysis, H&E staining on tissues, immunofluorescence (IF) and immunohistochemistry (IHC)
- Experience in ELISA assay, spectrophotometric assays, and enzyme kinetics assays
- Experience in Western Blot analysis, In-Situ Hybridization, and cytospin preparation and analysis
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Gabriele Cheatham, Gabriele.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Instructions to Applicants Section 2 Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20952 - SOM-PEDS Pulmonary-GenOps
Posting Date: May 18, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gabriele Cheatham
Posting Contact Email: Gabriele.email@example.com
Position Number: 00745790